Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So after 24,000 miles I'm in need of new tires on my 05 OB XT. The major wear is occuring on the outside of my rear tires which indicates either excessive toe in or camber.

I'm thinking it's toe since the rear end tends to wag a bit on good ice, especially when one side of the car is on dry ground.

Anyone else experience this? Did you make an adjustment to the factory alignment specs and how did it work out for you?

I have no idea what the factory specs are, I am going to get an alignment and see where it stands and start adjusting from their. Just wondering if I'm the only one with this problem or if it plagues others as well.

Hi GP33. Any chance they will cover this under warranty? i.e. it would be nice to get an alignment and new tires out of it; not sure if they would do it?

I am going to get an alignment and see where it stands and start adjusting from their
I would maybe get the alignment, but not do any adjusting of my own. Camber you can set pretty close to zero yourself with a level, but do it yourself toe you'd have to use the strings method or something like that.

Large Toe-in on the rear would give LESS oversteer and therefore doesn't support the ice/snow theory.

Excessive positive camber on the rear would cause more wear outside AND reduce rear end grip. So, that's probably the problem.

Factory toe is 0.0 all round with a tolerance.

Rear camber should be -1.0 and cannot be adjusted. If it's larger than that, ie. closer to 0.0 or perhaps even postive, you may have a collapsed bushing somewhere.

Large Toe-in on the rear would give LESS oversteer and therefore doesn't support the ice/snow theory.

It's not an over steer issue, I’m talking while traveling straight on ice that’s slicker than greased whale ************. It feels more like the rear tires are fighting each other so when one tire gets more traction it pushes a little until it's going straight, then the other tire is that much more out of alignment with the direction of travel so it pushes back. Thus the wagging affect. There is significant under steer on dry roads, I’m attributing that more to the AWD and the lame tires the factory put on. The toe may very well be affecting it though.

I wouldn’t do the adjustments myself, I would spec out new nominal’s for the alignment guy. I’ll do the alignment on my Jeep but it turns out big squishy tires on a flexy soft suspension are a lot less sensitive to subtle changes.

Hi GP33. Any chance they will cover this under warranty? i.e. it would be nice to get an alignment and new tires out of it; not sure if they would do it?

QUOTE]

I have a feeling they would just laugh at me. Maybe if I brought it to their attention as soon as I noticed the uneaven wear but I fell asleep at the wheel on this one. my bad, I'll pay the price if it is a factory alignment deviation.