Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutchless driving?

thanks for the illustration. Skipped sleep last night, I just couldnt visualize how that would help... blonde moment.

Somewhere I think my uncle has a nice stainless steel tow bar; its just a V with a hitch mounted at the apex, and a flange on either extermity to bolt onto a tow hook.. is this the U haul bar mentioned? The thing weighs a TON and has, in fact, been painted u-haul red at some point in its long past.. its beat up and scratched, and alot of the paint is wearing off, but it is DEFINITELY stainless underneath all that. Neat piece, but like i said, it weighs about 60-80 lbs IIRC.

Tow rope == not fun. I smoked the hubcaps on my geo the first time I ever got my car towed via rope; because I didn't know better, I rode the brakes most of the way, and I was being towed by a crew cab dually chevy full ton :eek::Flame:

I hate the tow rope/pipe and chain method personally...got many a car home that way..best was my 66 Mustang with bad tranny and haddent been run in 10 years and very little brakes.

I have also ran quite abit clutchless..but mainly by choice...rev match its easy..I have even ran my big old tow trucks without the clutch. And when the linkage broke on my Jetta and I was stuck in 4rth..I drove that home too..in the city during rush hour.

But I would go with the dolly method also

Having just begun to reaquaint myself with the joys of driving an older manual I owe it to this thread for reminding me of double clutching... been about 6 years since I last double clutched my way through the gears and I'm loving it now as much as I did before! :banana:

I'd be +1 on the tow dolly... I found them locally for $45 a day at Uhaul, some of your local rental shops may be cheaper/hour