Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for Legacy FSM info

2.5 and TZ102Z2ACA ?

close - 2.5 and TZ102Z2AAA - last three are different than you said - AAA instead of ACA. this is for the currrent vehicle, the AWD. don't know anything about the parts trans yet....maybe the wiring diagram would tell me which is a better fit, but i'd imagine they'd make all the FWD auto trans inputs the same.

• 2 weeks later...

great, thanks porcupine! i was looking for the list of input/outputs of the TCU pins like the pic i have posted here (1st gen stuff), but i think yours will have that info in it as well.

and john, it's not too late i haven't started yet. still debating auto verses manual. think i'm going auto for now and i can do manual down the road. i believe you're correct on the FWD/AWD being nearly identical and i think you can frankenstein it like that. problem is the front diff is toast. which leads to the option of running rear wheel drive but that's not a good option for me.

thanks!

post-6800-136027624974_thumb.jpg

problem is the front diff is toast. which leads to the option of running rear wheel drive but that's not a good option for me.

thanks!

if you have a bad 2.2L trans sitting around , just swap the front diff. it shouln't take but a couple of hours once the trans is out and i would think you'd have have one considereing how many legacys you go thru.

just a thought.

i would think you'd have have one considereing how many legacys you go thru.
HEY! that was funny. i only have manual EJ trans, no auto's and i want to convert it from AWD to FWD.

jamal - i'll definitely take that 95 info, thanks a ton. no rush on it, so don't sweat it. 95 trans are all over the place, 96 are harder to find and more expensive and further away.

HEY! that was funny. i only have manual EJ trans, no auto's and i want to convert it from AWD to FWD.

jamal - i'll definitely take that 95 info, thanks a ton. no rush on it, so don't sweat it. 95 trans are all over the place, 96 are harder to find and more expensive and further away.

i put a 96 wagon 4eat AWD into a 95 sedan with no problems. i don't know the real difference between the model years, but the operational difference is none. i bet the reverse swap will work as well.

i saw some cheap (250 -350) FWD trannys on car-part.com, how far is henderson auto in scottdale, pa, 3 @ $150 or staunton, va, $275 ords auto parts.

good luck.

awesome! you've done a 95-96 interchange? fantastic, that's exactly what i needed to know! so i'm getting that trans, one only has 80k - 90k on it. i had been plugging away on there and had found those 95's in scottdale which is really close, that's why i was wanting to know if it would work. to go with a 96 would have been much more expensive and much further away too.

thanks!

awesome! you've done a 95-96 interchange? fantastic, that's exactly what i needed to know! so i'm getting that trans, one only has 80k - 90k on it. i had been plugging away on there and had found those 95's in scottdale which is really close, that's why i was wanting to know if it would work. to go with a 96 would have been much more expensive and much further away too.

thanks!

TCU note:

after i swapped the 96 trans into the 95 (it runs fine) i then swapped the TCU to see what difference that made. it was not happy. the TCUs are apparently programmed for the car, size and weight, and the shift characteristics, GT vs outback. so i'd stick with the one that came in the car unless it throws a code because of the FWD.

final drive note:

i think i read somewhere the the final drive in a FWD trans was 3.7. this must be for a manual trans since it's a pretty long way from the 2.2L - 4.11 or the 2.5L - 4.44 in other autos.

i have also come the the conclusion the the final drive ratio, although different between the 2.2 and the 2.5 engines, it is really based on the wheel circumference. there is no logical reason why a more powerful 2.5L engine needs a more powerful final drive ratio. but in the early days, the cars that came with the 2.5L engine also came with larger wheels. larger wheels would be a reason for a more powerful final drive ratio.

so you may lose some power and gain some economy with this swap. let us know if you notice any change.

major re-write edit:

the gear that drives the speed sensor rotates with ring gear. this is after the gear reduction, 4.11:1. the speedometer doesn't care how fast the trans is turning, just how fast the ring gear is turning. assuming the ECU just counts the wheel rotations to get a mile, you'll be ok. this assume that the speedo drive gear on the 4.11 diff is the same as the drive gear on the 4.44 diff.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/All_talk/Subaru/4EAT/?action=view&current=Image019.jpg