Ultimate Subaru Message Board

low oil pressure????

Pooparu

I have a 1990 loyale turbo and the oil pressure drops all the way down to 0 after it's been warmed up. I replaced the oil pump and the sending unit, but nothings helped. I get great pressure when it's cold and for about the first 10-15 miles then it goes down. If I rev the motor up really high I get about 10psi.

Anyone know how I can fix this or what the heck the problem is?

thanks, earl

If your using the facotry gauge, the first thing to do is to get a cheap name brand mechanical gauge and see what it is really reading.

Rule of thumb is that you cant accuratly read the bottom 20% and top 20% of a gauge sweep, and no more then 50% of any division. This means if the gauge is on 20 psi incriments, you can only read to 10 psi.

This is pretty much a design standard for cheap factory gauges. Mechanical gauges are more accurate. You may not have any problem aside from a bad gauge, or you may have a bucket of bolts.

nipper

hehehe thats why i refrained form saying do a search.

nipper

Im sorry to be a jerk, but it IS true... it came up earlier this week, and a couple of weeks before..

I am just trying to avoid dilution of content here.

While you're at it, check the "similar threads" below. I would be more helpful if I had firsthand experience with this problem, but you CAN find your answers in other threads. The advantage of using the search function is that you get to see the mistakes everyone else made, rather than taking a chance that no one will clue you in on your own thread.