Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL is running rough

Well , I had a good few months but now my sweet Gl with a 1800cc 5 spd Carb engine is acting funny.

Starts Good. idles great. When I accelerate it feels like its missing. The car does not conk out and it will pull me over a hill, but it stumbles and misses. I think its spark related but the Tachometer is smooth and I thought if it was missing it would make the needle bump around a bit. The plugs looked fine. So I gapped them and put them back in.

What do ya think.. SC

I got out my water squirt bottle and layed the magic tap water spray on the vac lines. no sputters, except on that breather thing that goes to the float chamber. Then it got dark , so I ran the engine and the coil wire to the dist was arc'n all over the place. I routed it over air cleaner. maybe that will help. I do believe that its time to replace the factory plug wires. SC

Al right, got the wires for 14 bucks. Put em in. pretty nice. Car still runs like manure. It runs even worse when it rains, really worse . So do you think the dist and cap is bad.

IS there supposed to be a rubber gasket between the dist cap and te dist body?

My other thought is I got some bad gas

SC

Now that I am actually driving my new 84 GL around I have found a few problems.

When I hit about 80-100 kph, the soob got very sluggish, took aaages to reach 120 kph, I suspected the pot was detecting the accel cable incorrectly, turns out the end of the cable sheath had melted or disintegrated over time and the entire sheath had slipped forward, giving a lot of slack, thus, the second barrel of the carb never opened. (The plugs also indicate a very lean burn, probably due to the cable) Until I get a new cable, I pulled the sheath back and put 2 cable ties around the base of the cable. Works well. :grin: When at a medium - high idle, I could hear a slight miss as well.

My dizzy was also not closed properly!! (A mechanic "friend" had a quick squiz out of interest, he wont be touching my Subaru again!) The clip on the back was completely unclasped.

Also, I went to put a spark plug and lead tester next to the cable from the coil and got a very nasty zap :mad: The contact inside the lead had slid back a little (has been there a while!) and caused the spark to find its own path :mad: Missing fixed.

I also flushed the cooling system today, got some gunk out. I guess thats why I got the car so cheap, heh.. someone didnt know what they were doing. :clap::burnout::clap::burnout:

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I posted this but I can't find it.

THe solinoid gas shut off has a short in it. I took the nail our that sticks into the carb and cuts the gas when you turn off the key. Well I'm running better. except for it will chug a few times when I stop the engine. . Any harn in that ? SC

HAs anyone bought one?

That chugging is called dieseling. If its a hitachi carb it has an anti-dieseling solienoid mounted on the front of the carb. Im not sure how you would go about checking that but that is where it is located. If you hav a weber carburator on the other hand there is no anti-dieseling solenoid so it just needs to be tuned to perfection so you dont have that problem.

I thought I posted this but I can't find it.

THe solinoid gas shut off has a short in it. I took the nail our that sticks into the carb and cuts the gas when you turn off the key. Well I'm running better. except for it will chug a few times when I stop the engine. . Any harn in that ? SC

HAs anyone bought one?

The wire that goes to my valve broke and my car would not idle after this. I pulled the needle out and it ran better. I went to pick n pull and got another one and spliced the wire to my harness and everything was back to normal.