Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat is home!!!

cd45

OK, it only clicks when I turn the key back. I dug out the Haynes manual, and there is a lisy of things to check. That is for tomorrow. I have to drain the gas tank, what's in there is no longer gas, just smells a little like it. At least it is not all solid like the 1980 wagon I got the daughter. I should be able to flush it out with a few gallons of fresh gas and be good. This Brat even has the high center console with arm rest and a cup holder. There are two cubby holes in it to hold all my stuff. I looked for two years for a Brat in my local area, and finally found one. Sorry, the pic is below.

I will post more later.

brat1xp5.jpg

P.S. cobcob, thanks for looking for a 5 SP D/R for me. And congrats on the 1982, looks good.

Nice BRAT!

have someone tap the starter with a hammer while you hold the key in start.

If the starter turns over then, you could either disassemble, replace the brushes, and clean and lube it, or just replace it.

If the starter DOESNT turn over, then you have an ignition switch issue. The BEST fix is found here http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74632 and that is to install a relay signaled by the ignition switch that activates the starter. Alot of people just wire a pushbutton switch in, but that really isnt exactly wise, nor will it last much longer than your original switch did. On a Carb'ed car the difference are made more miniscule than they are with EFI, but it is still wiser to relay the current, which makes the run from battery to starter much shorter (less resistance) and keeps it out of the cabin (less potential for danger)

That being said, countless have ignored the "wise" approach and run pushbutton switches, and I have yet to hear of a car fire caused by one, or a failure of one.. so it can't be THAT bad.

Ohhh! That's a pretty Brat! kinda the evil twin to mine, urs being black and mine white and all that...

Digging the topper, I like it better than the low one I've got... And I'd KILL for a high console with arm rest... that's the one thing I wish mine came with!

Incidentally, I think that your post has influenced my Brat, the switch in mine has decided it wants to be ornery, I have to push the key in while turning to get it to start, and even then I have to do it a coupla times before I get any response out of it :rolleyes:

I'm adding it to the list of things to do this weekend along with valve adjustment, oil change, tune up and vac out the interior.