Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who wants to fix my Brat and make a few hundred bucks?

I am not a mechanic. I have no idea what to do. What it needs: something done to the carburettor, possibly the engine - I'm getting nauseating (and embarrasing) amounts of black and whitish blue smoke out the exhaust and something needs to be done with the brakes. They are very very weak and make knocking noises.

If you know what you're doing and want an extra $2-300 lemme know. This is the closest thing I have to a legally drivable car and I need it fixed.

Isnt white a new pope?

A subaru is a great car to learn on as far as the brakes.

Get yourself a good manual and sit down and read it. Hayens is best.Start with a tuneup (plugs cap wires rotor air fule filter).

If you can find someone to do it with, let them teach you, while you do it yourself.

nipper

If I were closer I would help you out - you should lookup some of the Medford crew - find Adam or Tony. I think Adam may still be out of country with the national guard but Tony (Soobme) might be around. I hear he's into Nissan's or something now but he's a real, real good guy and could at least point you in the right direction if not actually assist you with the job. Might even end up with a roll bar or brush guard or something as he's a good fabricator.

GD

I wish I was closer...I would love to help also..I know some about the brakes and I love helping people..either teaching them what ( little) I know and in return..learning what they know. Its also fun.

Also as for the smoking issue..I was thinking the same as Cougar..PCV..Always start simple..also...when you can search here for step by step repairs..or get a manual...I thought that doing a rear disk swap "sounded" hard...but I tried it anyway and it was very easy..You can fix your Brat..I have faith in you...If I can do this stuff so can you:grin: ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Will the car make it over the pass to K. Falls? We could probably work something out.

The brakes are easy enough to do; after you do them the first time that is (The first time I did brakes it took a few days :P)

Not sure about the other smoking issue though. Aside from a compression test...

Is it an automatic or manual?

-Dave