Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very unhappy with Brat!!

cd45

I cannot get the Brat started. The key will not turn the starter over. I can do the screwdriver to the post trick, and it turns over. The ignition switch was replaced before I got the truck. I am looking for any ideas. Please help. Here is a pic of her topless.

topless1cg0.jpg

Slow down kiddo... there are MANY things that will happen... take one step at a time. Owning a BRAT will be a work in progress... as long as you love it. When the love affair is over, let it go. They can be tempermental and very quirky.

99% of the older mechanics around here, that worked on them back in the day, won't touch them. They are easy to work on, but need finessing and a keen eye and ear, they don't want to work that hard, spoiled by computers. If it's the only car you need to kepp going, why not learn it inside and out? It's worth it. This board is the best place to do it!!!

I added http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/subarubrumby_pushbuttonstart.jpg

:lol:

Just a push contact switch, so once the engine is running you let go and it stops the starter.. Only works with the key in on one ignition. My key was being intermittent. So this was a quick fix and everyone who sits in my car comments on it now.

I have one on my '86, someday I'll get around to changing the ignition... not today, and tomorrow isn't looking good either. :)

did you tap the starter with a hammer while holding the key in start?

If that works, then you need a new starter; or you need to rebuild the one you have; its a solenoid failure.

You could also splice in a relay, as explained here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74632

It is long but it spells everything out; if you understand parts of it you can skim that, and if you know nothing about electricity you can read it all and figure the problem out.

but most people go with the simpler, pushbutton solution. The relay is something along the lines of fire insurance.

I drive a 1987 GL wagon right now, and I would like the Brat to be my daily driver. I have always had trouble fixing starting problems, this is another in a long line of cars. I usually end up changing everything. I will get this fixed. I know that a Subaru is a work in progress, I can live with that. I am just excited to have a Brat, and want to show it off. I can't do that if it never gets out of the driveway.

I am just excited to have a Brat, and want to show it off. I can't do that if it never gets out of the driveway.

I know exactly how you feel..went through the same with my XT6..wanted to get it out and show it off...but it was always broke down when I first got it. Dont rush it..it will come together..take your time and do it right...you dont want to be "showing" off your Brat on the back of a tow truck ( Rocky came home that way already)..it really isnt very becoming of the car...and BTW..NICE Brat!

Besides a possible bad starter or ignition switch, there's one more item to check...

Drop the panel below the column and check the connector for the ign switch, Pink in color. Been a few of us that had issues with that connector. If it's dis-colored any, the terminals are bad. 99 out of 100 it'll be the Battery + lead that's the troublesome one. The Amp draw of trying to turn starter over makes the connection loose contact somewhat, hence starter just clicking. You can cut/splice the wires together, or cut and install spade connectors. Went thru that with my '86..

I know how you feel about wanting to show it off. The '85 I just bought sat here for 2 weeks while I tried fruitlessly to free-up the rear brake adjusters. Got rear discs now!!!! But still, with it sitting there, I wanted to drive it around, show it off. Now, the brakes are good, but I can't keep air in the tires. Needs new ones badly, can't afford them right now... So,,, I still can't drive it...... sigh!!!

I'm kind of agreeing with trying the easiest stuff first. Since the starter is so easy to remove, it might be worth your while to take it to a local auto parts store (around here it's Kragen) that will bench test your starter for free. It could very well find that the solenoid as mentioned above is faulty. In that case, it's a snap to install a new starter.

Sometimes this might seem unrelated, considering the starter works when "hot wired", but you might want to double-check your battery terminals. Take each one of them off, clean the posts and the insides of the terminals, and reinstall tight. Worth a try.

Just my 2 bucks

If its an automatic, check the neutral safety switch. (under center console, 2 large black wires, one with a blue stripe and one with a black stripe if I recall, or maybe one was just solid black)

I cannot get the Brat started. The key will not turn the starter over. I can do the screwdriver to the post trick, and it turns over. The ignition switch was replaced before I got the truck. I am looking for any ideas. Please help. Here is a pic of her topless.

topless1cg0.jpg