Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 Oil Leak Passenger Side. What to look for?

I have a small oil leak on the passenger side of my 99 Subaru Impreza OBS. It seems to leak onto the exhaust because you can see the smoke from it. I am not to familiar with checking seals and gaskets. Is this normal for these types of engines? If so, any suggestions of what and where to look at? The car has 213,000k miles on it. It doesn't seem to have any other issues, so I am hoping that this will be a cheap and easy fix....however, am prepared for the worst. Oh yea, it's an automatic.

Thanks guys.....

Yea, it's oil. I go though about a half quart of oil every 4000k miles. I checked the oil pan and timing belt cover, everything up there seems clean as a whistle. It is mostly located to the rear passenger side. It's a little messy, so I cant really see where it is coming from exactly. However, I am going to try and use engine cleaner and get it cleaned up a little better. Whats seals or gaskets are in this general area that could cause this?

Whats seals or gaskets are in this general area that could cause this?

Valve cover gasket + grommets

Rear cam cover (a bolt in plug there is an "O" ring)

Ok,

I will check the valve cover when I clean the engine. Where exactly is the Rear cam cover (a bolt in plug there is an "O" ring) located? Is it easy to replace?

Where exactly is the Rear cam cover (a bolt in plug there is an "O" ring) located? Is it easy to replace?
REALLY easy to fix. it's just a cap, a round-ish piece bolted to the back of the motor. remove it, replace o-ring and reinstall. nothing fancy about it. someone seems to suggest your 99 does not have this cam cap though, so you may not have it. a quick peak would verify, i don't have a 99 to look at. it's probably the valve cover or this cam cap (if you even have it). you could try snugging up the valve cover bolts on the bottom a bit, that may snug it up enough to stop the leak. just don't go crazy on it, keep in mind it's a mostly aluminum engine.

you're from somerset, KY? not many soobs out that way, i bought my OBS from there! do you know Huck?

Boy was it easy to spot once I cleaned the engine up. Sure enough it's the Valve cover gasket. I am going to replace it soon. Is this a do it yourself kind of job, or one better left for professionals? Should I just replace both driver and passenger sides or just the one leaking?

REALLY easy to fix. it's just a cap, a round-ish piece bolted to the back of the motor. remove it, replace o-ring and reinstall. nothing fancy about it. someone seems to suggest your 99 does not have this cam cap though, so you may not have it. a quick peak would verify, i don't have a 99 to look at. it's probably the valve cover or this cam cap (if you even have it). you could try snugging up the valve cover bolts on the bottom a bit, that may snug it up enough to stop the leak. just don't go crazy on it, keep in mind it's a mostly aluminum engine.

you're from somerset, KY? not many soobs out that way, i bought my OBS from there! do you know Huck?

It is rare to find a subaru in these parts, however my new neighbor has a baja and I want it so bad.

valve cover gaskets are easy. just remove the valve cover, clean surfaces, swap gaskets, reinstall valve cover. i would do both sides, but some that like the "don't fix it if it aint broke" idea, would not fix it and it could last a very long time. there's plenty of other gaskets and seals you're not replacing.

Seems like a tight squeeze to be working in that area. Are there any specials tools that I might need? I am going to attempt to do this on my own. It seems like a good learning experience. This might be a dumb question, but I do need to drain the oil out... right?.....well its over due anyways...so might as well..If it wasnt for USMB I would be lost all the time. Thanks guys....oh one last question....got any recommendations of where to order the gasket set?

They're called spark plug well seals, and they do tend to leak. You can get them from 1stsubaruparts.com or from your local dealer. Felpro also sells a vc gasket kit that includes both gaskets and the sealing washers, but not the spark plug well seals.

You don't need any special tools, just a 1/4" socket wrench and corresponding socket. There's also no need to drain the oil as most of it will be in the oil pan, though some will probably drip out from the heads so do keep a drain pan handy.

For tools, an assortment of 10mm stuff can be helfpul; like socket, ratcheting wrench with flex head, flex head socket, etc.

When you reassemble, do not overtighten the valve cover bolts - they will strip. Tighten each one a little bit until they are the desired torque. Don't tighten the first one down all the way, then the next, etc.

Valve cover bolt hole washers for a '96 2.2L:

boltholeseals22L.jpg

Valve cover gaskets for a '96 2.2L:

valvecovergaskets22L.jpg

Spark plug hole seals for a '00 2.5L (sohc). Note: On my '96 2.2L, the spark plug holes/tubes do NOT penetrate the valve cover so it does not use these seals.

sparkplugholeseals00OBW.jpg

but I do need to drain the oil out... right?
No it is not necessary to drain the engine oil before removing the valve cover gaskets. You will get a little bit of oil coming out but not much. Draining the engine oil will make no difference. Obviously do not start or crank the engine with the valve covers off or then you will get oil spilling out.

I forgot to mention, optionally wash/spray the areas around the valve covers, and definitely blow out with compressed air, before removing the valve covers. Otherwise all kinds of little pieces of grit and stuff will get in there when you take the valve covers off.

If you're changing the oil, I would do it after the job is completed.

got any recommendations of where to order the gasket set

Subaru dealer who sells parts online; there are many - example: http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=3497

No it is not necessary to drain the engine oil before removing the valve cover gaskets. You will get a little bit of oil coming out but not much. Draining the engine oil will make no difference. Obviously do not start or crank the engine with the valve covers off or then you will get oil spilling out.

I forgot to mention, optionally wash/spray the areas around the valve covers, and definitely blow out with compressed air, before removing the valve covers. Otherwise all kinds of little pieces of grit and stuff will get in there when you take the valve covers off.

If you're changing the oil, I would do it after the job is completed.

Subaru dealer who sells parts online; there are many - example: http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=3497

Thanks for all your input, I went to the web address above and they have a kit ($55) that says it comes with:

VALVE COVER GASKET SET WITH 10 GROMMETS AND 4 SPARKPLUG TUBES FOR 1999-2001 2.2 & 2.5RS ALL (for both sides) (item A twice)

Does this cover everything I need? This is going to be a rookie question....but what are grommets...lol?

Yes, that kit sounds like it has all the gaskets and seals you need to R&R the valve covers.

Those are the seals that go over the valve cover bolts to prevent oil from leaking out through the bolt holes. They look similar to the washers in my first pic above.

Awsome! I will order that kit! ...USMB is always here to help,THANKS!!!!!