Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Multi-Layer Steel Head Gasket Questions

Stupid Haynes manual....it's got me second-guessing myself.

I'm about to reassemble my '98 OBW's 2.5L dual cam engine, and the Haynes repair manual reassembly procedure begins with "check the head gasket manufacturer's installation instructions" and use gasket sealant on the gasket "if necessary. Well, the updated OEM Subaru multi-layer steel headgaskets do not come with instructions, and I can't imagine using RTV on a headgasket but I better ask here just in case!

1. We are not supposed to use sealant on the headgaskets anywhere, right?

2. Is the head bolt torque procedure identicle with the new headgaskets? I am just going to follow the Haynes manual unless someone tells me of an updated procedure---a rather silly and complicated procedure, I might add. I already had a ft. lbs. torque wrench, but I had to go out and buy an inch pounds wrench because my ft. lbs. only goes down to 10 ft lbs.

Okay here's the deal with the new HG's

DO NOT use any sealer on the gaskets. Make sure the mating surfaces are smooth, clean and dry.

The torque sequence is as follows (follow the bolt sequence in the manual)

1.torque all bolts to 21 ft-lbs

2. torque all bolts to 51 ft-lbs

3. back off the bolts 180 degrees in reverse order (bolt 6 to 1)

4 back off another 180 degrees

5. torque bolts 1 and 2 to 25 ft lbs

6. torque bolts 3 thru 6 to 11 ft lbs

7 turn all bolts in sequence 80 to 90 degrees

8 turn all bolts in sequence 80 to 90 degrees

this results in a torque of about 86 ft lbs

I have just done two engines and this is the subaru torquing sequence

If you have any questions you can call me at 804-393-0516

Mike

• 1 year later...

I too am about to reassemble my '98 OBW's 2.5L dual cam engine and I had a question about gaskets:

The new multi-layer steel head gaskets do not require gasket sealant, but do the valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, or spark plug gaskets require a sealant?

do the valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, or spark plug gaskets require a sealant?
no. you should read some more threads or preferably obtain an FSM if seals and gaskets confuse you. follow the procedures there.

where do the sealant concerns come from? there isn't any gasket on any Subaru engine that requires sealant that i'm aware of. that goes for EA82, ER27, EG33, EJ22, EJ18, EJ25.....I never use any sealant on gaskets or seals in those engines.

On occassion on older models i've used tack sealant on the water pump, but just to hold it in place, it's not necessary.

it's often a good move on pan gaskets - like the older model oil and transmission pans. it wasn't required, but helps due to the pans usually not being in good condition on reinstall. that's probably why the newer ones i don't think even have a gasket - it's the sealant in a tube stuff.

Edited by grossgary