Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New project- 89 Touring Wagon

Touring-Wagon.jpg

I bought this from Mellow65 and had it shipped back here. Other than the accident damage it looks like a good car. The red/blue Loyale next to it will provide necessary parts for the rebuild. It's an 89 GL Touring Wagon with dual range and 248K miles (and NO power seat belts- yes!).

Eventually I want to put my AA lift and wheels on it, but first I have to rebuild it stock to get the title changed from "totaled" to "reconstructed". The damage is pretty light and will be easy to fix, but the insurance company totaled it when it was wrecked and it has a salvage title.

Andy

Lucky!!!

*I* want a touring wagon!

seriously though, good luck on the title work, if that is the wagon I think it is the work shouldnt be TOO awful.. Harbor freight sells a relatively inexpensive hydraulic power kit that should be helpful in pushing some things back in to place on the thing. Any community colleges in your area that train for body work? A friend of mine just had her Volvo straightened (VERY VERY slight frame bending) and a fender replaced, plus the whole car repainted pro bono because they needed cars to work on. Might not be a bad idea to look into?? For the hard work, if not for the painting.

Gut the back seat and rear interior and make it into a campwagon, just to fulfill a pipe dream of mine. You know you want to do it. Think about it.. A go-anywhere, lifted Fishingmobile!!!! :grin:

Gut the back seat and rear interior and make it into a campwagon, just to fulfill a pipe dream of mine. You know you want to do it. Think about it.. A go-anywhere, lifted Fishingmobile!!!! :grin:

My exact plan. A stock wagon is about 2" too short for me to sleep comfortably in, so I'm going to change stuff around and gain the extra length that the seat backs take up.

The damage really isn't that bad. As far as I can tell nothing that the suspension bolts to was tweaked. Matt already pulled a lot of it out. It does need a radiator and water pump, but it seems to run pretty good for an engine with 250k.

My current plan (subject to change) is to cut the undamaged inner fender corner off the Loyale and weld it onto the touring wagon. The frame horn the bumper bolts to on the t wag crumpled in the wreck, so I'd feel better about replacing it than trying to weld patches on. I think it will be easier anyway. We will see how I feel when I get into it, though- right now I am elbow deep in my '85 doing head gaskets, and there are other projects in line after that is done.

Andy

good to see that she made it out there in the same shape she left here, not the prettiest thing but for the most part all there.

I wish i would have had more room at my place or she would have never left. the only reason she had to go was to make room for my current play car.

two words, rally car

good luck with the build and i'm glad someone is going to enjoy the fact it's a touring wagon, and not just be some old subaru wagon

My girlfriend and I do a lot of camping in my GL wagon- so I will be glad to not hit my head any more when I sit up in the night:)

Hopefully I can get it back on the road before winter hits. I need to keep the shop clear of cars until I move in a big lathe that is coming in the next couple weeks, then the T wagon will be going in.

Andy

Take a look at my nose job thread a year and a half back or so... sounds pretty similar to what you are planning. Actually, when I saw the red and blue loyale, I thought you had his car...

Z

My current plan (subject to change) is to cut the undamaged inner fender corner off the Loyale and weld it onto the touring wagon. The frame horn the bumper bolts to on the t wag crumpled in the wreck, so I'd feel better about replacing it than trying to weld patches on. I think it will be easier anyway.

Andy

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I have to ask - what makes a Touring Wagon worth rebuilding vs. your Loyale? Exactly what IS a TW, anyway?

A touring wagon has a raised roof from the driver's seats back. It's hard to see in my photo. They are sort of rare, a lot less common than Loyales.

My Loyale is not worth rebuilding. It was on the road and doing fine until the rear suspension arms tore off their crossmember due to rust. It is an east coast car and has seen a lot of salt (and spray foam). It's also been through a similar front end collision, burns oil, needs tires and brakes, ect. ect. The Touring wagon, though it has high miles, is from Oregon and is not rusty.

Andy

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I have to ask - what makes a Touring Wagon worth rebuilding vs. your Loyale? Exactly what IS a TW, anyway?

also from what i have read somewhere, and it could be completely wrong but I heard of only 1500 being made.

and then the fact it was an 89 still had the DR vs the 90 being the loyal and being a push button 4x4, makes it that much cooler.

and then with the lift and wheels that i sold him forever ago it will look BAD rump roast:headbang: :headbang: