Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It runs!!

cd45

I got the Brat started yesterday. I had to use a screwdriver across the starter. It still needs a little work but, it does run, and sounds pretty good. I will be putting a relay on the starter today so I can use a key instead of the screwdriver. Then I need to look at the brakes, the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Other than that, just small things to check, change all the fluids, and drive the crap out of it. I have been working on the EA82 for 3 years now, and think that I know about it. Is there anything about the EA81 that I really need to know? I Like that there are no long timing belts but, those are really not a problem anymore, since I have changed them twice. From what I have read on here, the engine I have has the hydraulic lifters so I don't have to worry about adjusting them. Any tricks that have been learned, I would love to know about before I get surprised. Thanks for any and all info.

OK, I put the relay in like I read on here. Now the truck starts with the key everytime. I am so stoked. Now I get to twork on the brakes, then I'll be almost ready to drive it all the time. Thanks for the info, it is now printed off and put into my Subaru Manual.

OK, I put the relay in like I read on here. Now the truck starts with the key everytime. I am so stoked. Now I get to twork on the brakes, then I'll be almost ready to drive it all the time. Thanks for the info, it is now printed off and put into my Subaru Manual.

Awesome. So many people opt to go for the push button, it makes me feel good to see someone use that (in some ways absurdly long) write up.

On the brake issue.

If you have very little braking, chances are the rears are in need of adjustment. Also good chance the adjusters are siezed. Spent 2 weeks trying to get mine freed up.

If the peddle is basically dead, chances are the rear lines have rusted out. Had that issue on my 1st BRAT that had sat for about 4 years.

As for other things to check/do.

I would change all of the coolant hoses. They're probally not in the greatest condition, both from age, and from sitting.

Oil & filter change. Fuel filters. Fresh plugs, cap-n-rotor, wires. Air filter. PCV valve.

Thanks daeron, the write up was perfect. I did not have any problems getting the ignition to work. Next, I will use it for fog/driving lights. I might even set one up for lights above the cab, if I can find a light bar for the Brat, and I decide I don't like the topper.