Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 legacy eninge into 96 outback?

will the engine out of a 90 legacy work with 96 outback?

being plug n' play?

from what i read plug and play no, if you want plug and play get a 95 legacy 2.2, i think the last year of the duel port exhaust which fits your 2.5 and the first year of the odb2 stuff.

its been covered a bunch of times

here is the last one i remember

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79556

Does your '96 Outback presently have a 2.2L (I think the MT's had the 2.2L)...

oh man you want to say rare, i have been looking for one of these for ever. i did see one had like 300k on it and they still wanted an arm and a leg for it.

but you are right, the 96 MT had the 2.2. and with it really being an outback, (not like the pseudo ones in 95) it's all i want in a wagon

The ealy motor is not EGR but if your Outback is a 2.2 Manual you don't have EGR anyway.

And also I just got a 96 Outback 5 speed with a 2.2. Why do you guys want one soooo bad? The 2.2? I guess if that was the case you would love to hear I just built a 2.5 for it:lol:

OP Subex is from PA.

if you were to swap it, just keep your existing intake manifold and bolt it to the old block. all the wiring is associated with the intake manifold, so keep that.

people want the 2.2 because they're more reliable than the 2.5. even with new headgaskets i've seen 2.5's with bearing issues, rods coming through the block, and piston slap (possible but much more rare on the 2.2's), both of which you can find plenty of examples of on the internet/this board. 2.2's are a dime a dozen too, 2.5's are far more expensive. i have a bunch of 2.5's and i'm probably pulling a perfectly good one with new headgaskets out of my personal Legacy. i'd rather have the 2.2 in there, the reliability is worth it to me for the menial power difference. 20hp big deal, if i wanted a fast car the EJ25 wouldn't even be on the radar.

Is your car a 2.2 or 2.5????? If it is a 2.5 you need to use the 2.2 intake to put a 2.2 in. And if you are swapping from 2.5 to 2.2 don't use the early 90s 2.2. You will have to make too much work. Along with you having a non EGR car which won't fly in PA emmisions.