Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lets talk about an EA-EJ swap in the Loyale

Milemaker13

I searched and read about some of the misc. issues involved, but the basic jist seems to be missing. What does it take to swap in an EJ-22 engine into the EA-82 Loyale? I have a D/R tranny I want to put in too. So, can I bolt a EJ-22 up to a EA-82 trans? Doesn't it need an adapter plate? And how about the wiring, is there a lot to rematch and sort out? With or without the EJ harness? What other major stuff will I encounter? Motor or trans mounts? Radaitor swap? Thanks , I hope to make this happen!:burnout:

• 3 weeks later...
Oh my goodness, This thing should be a sticky or something, maybe in the USRM? this thing is great, it is answering all of my questions! Except one. How do I get free money? thanks alot Numb, oh and who made this, did you? im only on page 6 right now!!! :headbang:

it is stickied in the retrofitting section. and it is in the USRM. and yes, I compiled it...

How much of this would apply to an EJ20 from a WRX?

it's an awesome start. the wiring will be a bit different, and more complicated (but not impossible). mounting the WRX trans will be the same as any other EJ-series one, but using a hydraulic clutch would be near impossible in an EA82.

with XT6 clutch it should be ok.

Paeco industries makes kevlar clutches w/heavy duty PP for EA82 cars for less than 400.

USDM WRX motors would be ODB2 and thus more sensors to install. Otherwise the concept is still the same. The key is to get a nice set of wiring diagrams for the EJ ECU and thin out the harness accordingly.

BW

I have an EA 81 that I plan on doing the EJ swap but I need a clutch now. Could I use an XT6 clutch kit in the hatch until I do the swap and save myself from buying another clutch kit? because that would be sweet

Sorry about the hijack

Thanks

-Rob

I have an EA 81 that I plan on doing the EJ swap but I need a clutch now. Could I use an XT6 clutch kit in the hatch until I do the swap and save myself from buying another clutch kit? because that would be sweet

Sorry about the hijack

Thanks

-Rob

yep, that's mentioned in the write-up. you'll need a different throwout bearing to run the EA81 trans with the EA82 clutch kit, but other than that, no problem.

Sorry about the hijack

Thanks

-Rob

No. The XT6 clutch will not work with an EA81 Trans. You could use an XT6 flywheel and pressure plate, but you'll need an EA81 clutch disk and a unique throwout bearing (from some Nissan truck or something).

No. The XT6 clutch will not work with an EA81 Trans. You could use an XT6 flywheel and pressure plate, but you'll need an EA81 clutch disk and a unique throwout bearing (from some Nissan truck or something).

I picked up the xt6 kit from schucks at lunch I imagine about the same time you left this comment. Where does the problem arise, I bolted up the disc and pressure plate and it looks kosher. I do not look forward to another trip to schucks but would prefer that to pulling this engine again. The only thing that doesn't match is the throw out bearing. Is there a difference in the flywheels as far as depth or anything like that?

I would really like to get this engine back in and if that means buying another clutch set so be it.

Thanks

-Rob

EA82 trans has 24 splines and the EA81 trans has 21.

Also, the step height on flywheels is different. I do not recommend trying to mix and match. I learned the wrong way that an EA81 pressure plate will not work on an EA82 flywheel. The flanges on the pressure plate were concave in when bolted up.

So is it possible to use an Xt6 pressure plate with the EA81 tranny because the throwout bearing also has a larger diameter? Will I have to add a 5 speed dr to my parts list?

Search. Use an XT6 flywheel and pressure plate with an EA81 clutch. Then there's a throwout bearing from some Nissan that will work in the EA81 t/o bearing holder and is the right diameter for the pressure plate. Its a little funky but it works.

I personally would suggest a 5spd D/R... The gearing on 4spds is terrible.

appreciate the help mike:) I bought the nissan throwout bearing that is mentioned in the write up and it has the same diameter as the EA82 tranny shaft, will not work with the EA81. The write up while fantastic is aimed more at the ea82. Though without this site I would not have an EJ in my garage looking for a home and an awesome lifted hatch in the driveway. Thanks again for all the help.

-Rob