Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK--this is my last thing left to do before I pull the shaft out. There are two spring holes on the inner shaft assembly--one has an indentation around it. Which side do I put the punch on to drive it through? (Or, does it matter?) Is there a specific size punch to use? I only have one, and it is too short to work, so I need to buy another one. (My Haynes manual says nothing and is pretty useless with this step, so I have no idea what to expect or do specifically to get it out.) How hard do you have to whack on the punch? There isn't much room for any leverage on the passenger side of the car.

Sorry for another question on this shaft procedure, but thanks in advance for any help.

Hi. IIRC you drive the pin out from the non-beveled side and drive it in from the beveled side. I put some penetrating oil on the pin before trying to drive it out. It took a bit of force to get it to come out.

I used this pin punch, but I forget what size it was (edit: I think it is 7/32", not sure): What I hear is you definitely do not want to use too small of a punch as it can mushroom the roll pin head and jam it firmly in place so it won't come out, and possibly jam the pin punch in the hole as well.

pinpunch1.jpg

From this pin punch set (just saw one of these for not too much on eBay; auction might still be on):

mayhewpunchset1.jpg

This is how I drove it out since like you said access is limited. I pounded on the top of the end of the socket extensions, inside of which was the pin punch:

punchrollpin1.jpg

New oem roll pin/spring pin:

rollpin1.jpg

Dude--awsome response--thanks so much! Now, why the heck couldn't Haynes have made it that clear in their manual?

I just kicked myself for not thinking to stick the punch in a socket and extension--geez--that shoulda been a non-brainer...

That's just one of the issues I have with the haynes and such manuals; for a lot of things they use some generic description without pictures of how to perform a task if it is close enough.

I just did this axle job on '00 obw. It took me a while to think of putting the punch in a socket like that. Tried to punch it out from the bottom, nope that wasn't going to work. Not enough clearance down in there to really swing a hammer, as least not without hitting other things....

Here's where the bearing housing dropped out of the strut to free the axle; others do it different ways:

extracted1.jpg