Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a chance to buy a 2000 limited edition outback a/t 131,000mi , new headgasket .new tires, timing belt, etc... my question , how hard is it to change the front diff , according to the owner ,which he has it at a subaru dealer , the cost would be 2300 dollars,

Can I ask, what are the symptoms of a bad front differential?

to change the front diff you have to pull the trans, seperate the front diff, replace the front diff , install the trans. let's call it 5 - 6 hrs. labor @ $75 plus the front diff, if you can find one.

to replace the trans, remove and install. call it 3-4 hrs. plu the trans.

my guess is that the used trans is easier to find and install. where on earth would find a used front diff.

now, if you had a used bad trans sitting around for parts, then i might consider just the diff. the work is not that hard, but....

i've been meaning to start a new thread, there seem to be a fair number of failed front diffs. i just picked up a legacy with one. i've seen quite a few 1996 - 200X models with bad front diffs. i don't recall ever seeing any in the earlier models..which are older and tend ot have higher miles.

no reason for him not to take $500 - $1,000 from you. thing is they have cushion in the price of their vehicles they're selling to make up the difference...so really they're not even giving him $500. he could take $500 from you and still get them down a couple hundred, but i'd offer him a bit more for posterity anyway. i'd probably go $750-$1,000 to entice him to get it done quick.