Ultimate Subaru Message Board

it should work but the 99-01 motors are a bit different than the 97, but i cant think of anything that will hold you up in that swap. i personally wouldn't do it, as the 01 2.5's have headgasket issues. you'll sacrifice some reliability and possible costs down the road for not much horsepower. i think you're aware of that, but if not just search for "2.5 headgasket" or "EJ25 headgasket) on here or the internet and you'll find plenty of info.

The fuel managment system on your '97 is MAF based were as the '01 is a speed/density based system. So no, it will not work.

EDIT

Maybe it could. But it will not be plug and play like the 2.5L DOHC to 2.2L swap.

You could use your existing MAF sensor and wiring.

You would have to swap ECT sensors, and add a sender for the temp gauge to the '01 engine.

Swap knock sensors.

But then you are left with different IAC, TPS, and fuel injectors. Then the little annoying things like EGR and EVAP emissions items that may or may not effect drivability to much but can leave you with a CEL illuminated all the time.