Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off Roading Venture w/ pics and a few ???s (56k beware)

Gyoas759

Today the weather was too nice to stay inside, so I gave the trashwagon a bit of a workout. Earlier today I tightened the shifter linkage down to correct the shifter slop and got reverse back again. Everything seemed to perform about as expected and I got some nice shots of it. Scenic since the leaves are starting to turn up here.:banana:

02-2.jpg

01-1.jpg

03-2.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

The few things I noticed while driving around up there.

#1. I need to do something to the suspension because the car really bounces around hard. What's the best set up for smoothing the ride out?

#2. I'm hearing a rattling around in the front end sometimes. I know I need new CVs but there seems to be an extra clunking in the front end. Any ideas?

#3. The car doesn't want to go into reverse when it's in 4WD. If I want to back up, I need to put it in 2WD. It was no problem today, but someday, I may need that 4x4 in reverse. Again, any ideas?

Fun car! Tim, Miles, anybody... any update on that movie release date and all that?

Nice setup. :)

Looks about how I want to have mine end up. Lights, and slightly bigger tires. Not sure I wanna lift mine just yet.

Got slight clunk up front as well. I checked everything on mine and it all seems to be tight. Bushings maybe? Could just be the off-roading and being over 20 years old. :)

nice pictures, good time of year for picture taking too. sweet looking ride you have there. i also have a set of those rims on my 84, they are nice rims and look good too. do you have the struts and torsion bars crank it looks like its alittle low. also mine clunks too and i know its not the struts they are new kybs.

I'm guessing not. I just put the bigger rims on and left it at that. I'm a bit new at modifying cars. How would I go about doing that?

ok if you don't have a factory repair shop manual then on the front just look at your struts (if they are still the factory or original struts) under the spring perch (lower) you should see a couple of nuts on each side looking in the fender well from the tire. if i remember they should be 19mm, crank these up they will givve you about an 1" to 1 1/2" of lift for the front. for the rear, lift up the lower cushion on the rear seat, in the middle should be a rubber body plug, pull that out and under it should be a bolt (can't remember what size it was) just crank/screw it down and it will push down on the torsion bar and lift the rear of your sooby. thats how you can lift it alittle with stock adjustments. i would also go and get your alignment check afterwards because it will change your front toe settings and can cause premature tire wear and it will change your camber angles some which i would recommend tire rotations regularly to help tire wear.

i'll see if i can get some pictures up of what you need to look for and where, unless someone else beats me to it.

after looking at my pictures in my gallery you may have already have them cranked, since you are running the same wheels as my 84 is. i'm running 215/70-14 blizzacks which are just about 25.5" tall if i remember right, the clearance on the fender opening to tires look about the same but in some of my pictures iam loaded with alot of camping gear and to teeagers. :grin: i did need to trim alittle on the edges of my front fenders to get them to clear when turning.