Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kind of lash adjusters in this pic? '96 2.2L

Hi. Can anyone tell what kind of lash adjusters are in this pic? This is a 2.2L in a '96 Legacy brighton AT 117k miles.

Are there any checks or adjustments to be done while I'm doing the timing belt and replacing the valve cover gaskets and such?

I'm assuming these are hydraulic lash adjusters, but I have heard some people say that the '96 2.2L does not use HLA's. Or is that the bucket type that you need the shims and special tools? Thanks!

LH22-96-1.jpg

Hi. Can anyone tell what kind of lash adjusters are in this pic? This is a 2.2L in a '96 Legacy brighton AT 117k miles.

Are there any checks or adjustments to be done while I'm doing the timing belt and replacing the valve cover gaskets and such?

I'm assuming these are hydraulic lash adjusters, but I have heard some people say that the '96 2.2L does not use HLA's. Or is that the bucket type that you need the shims and special tools? Thanks!

LH22-96-1.jpg

Hi,

Wait for an expert answer, but yours look exactly like mine and I had a look at them quite recently. My car is also a 96 Brighton and the lash adjusters are hydraulic. Telltale sign = the small bleed holes on top of the rocker arms. If you remove the rockers keep them in the same upright position (bleed holes on top) and you will be able to reinstall without having to adjust or prime anything.

(edit) I thought mine were clean but yours are sparkling!

Ok thanks. I'm 99% sure now they are HLA's because I later found some stuff on EndWrench.com about it.

I just made sure there was no air in the HLA's and then put the new valve cover gaskets and bolt hole washers in.

I was a little surprised at their cleanliness as well. Cleaner than my '00obw. But soobs are pretty easy on the oil from what i hear. I don't know the previous history of this vehicle; I have had it about 27k miles, run on amsoil hdd 5w-30 with a shot of schaeffer's #132 moly ep with an amsoil flush before changeover. It is on its second oil change since I've had it.

Roller rocker EJ22's have solid adjusters starting in 1997. That was part of the power upgrade - solid lifters have less drag on the cam. They require adjustment every 100,000. They are obvious as they have an adjustment nut on top of each rocker.

The picture you posted is a standard hydrualic lash adjuster (HLA) for the EJ22.

Here's the endwrench with all the details:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.2Liter.pdf

GD