Ultimate Subaru Message Board

time for another 4wd FTW Story

s'ko

My wife and I are cruising to Oxnard for a weekend retreat and while on the highway I feel this weird feeling in the drive train, but since the BRAT is runing really well, I figured... no big deal. Well we get to the hotel I hear a really bad clicking sound. To make a lone story short, the inner DOJ boot ripped and puked grease everywhere.

I went to the local parts store and no one has the axle I need.

So I guess it's time to pop the 4wd level and take it home in 3wd mode :banana:

Bw

My wife and I are cruising to Oxnard for a weekend retreat and while on the highway I feel this weird feeling in the drive train' date=' but since the BRAT is runing really well, I figured... no big deal. Well we get to the hotel I hear a really bad clicking sound. To make a lone story short, the inner DOJ boot ripped and puked grease everywhere.

I went to the local parts store and no one has the axle I need.

So I guess it's time to pop the 4wd level and take it home in 3wd mode :banana:

Bw[/quote']

aww drove to oxnard and didnt let me know?... my dad and i would of loved to see your brat!...:lol:

aww drove to oxnard and didnt let me know?... my dad and i would of loved to see your brat!...:lol:

still in the area.

PM sent w/phone number.

I plan to head over to Cyberbackpacker's place to drop off a tranny.

Give a call and we can hook up.

BW

yeah. that's what I heard but this thing was not just clicking. It developed into a really bad harsh sound. It sounded like snapping metal. I am not sure if it is b/c it's a Impreza Axle w/the three roller bearings?

I have a FWD EJ axle in front to work w/my 5 lug swap.

BW

I had one where the remnants of the boot, still attached to the axle, was hitting a part of the car, making a clicking sound.

Not. The axle at the DOJ is toast.

i can grab axle and shake it up and down and there is a lot of play.

BW

I've driven for 10k miles after the outer CV boot ripped, just some clicking. And, I had an outer joint fail on a new axle with only 5k miles -- boot still intact. I had to drive in 3wd for a while because the vibration would make the tranny jump up and down if I put all the torque through the bad front axle. YMMV

Z