Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, I am in the process of removing the cam seal and it will not come out. I have torn it somewhat and it still will not budge. Any tricks, I soaked it in multiply penatrating oils with no luck. Help Please
I just did this last week. On mine, I used a screwdriver and punched it out from the back, being careful to avoid the housing. Yours sounds like it must be in there much tighter -- good luck!

Actually, your housing seems deeper than the one on my engine? Maybe the screwdriver won't work...

Steve

drill a carefully placed pilot hole with a thin bit, then use a self tapping sheet metal, or other, screw. once the screw grabs, use a hammer under the head of the screw to pull it out. or buy/borrow a seal pulley. screw drivers work, just don't score anything yo'ure not supposed to, that's easy to do.

Where you can remove the cam cap, I just use a regular seal puller like from napa and it pulls right out.

On the RH side where you have to pull the cam seal in place over the cam, the only method I have had work is to drill two small holes in the seal, screw in two small screws, and use pliers to pull the seal out. Nothing else seems to budge it. This time on 2.2L I tried some pullers and stuff and gouged the heck out of the cam which I could not smooth out even with 400 grit sandpaper and scotchbrite; hopefully it doesn't eat up the new seal.

New one goes back in with a seal driver if you're driving flush, or a 1" schedule 40 pvc female/female joint adapter (any hardware store) works great for me. These can be tough to get in straight, at least in my experience, this is probably my least favorite job so far in automotive work.

Make note not to drive too much further than the original is installed.

Perhaps whoever installed that seal had put some sealant on the outer side?

There were some old threads about this. What works well is to pry on the seal lip with a tip of a

screwdriver leveraged against the cylinder head. A piece of wood can be placed between

the screwdriver and the head to obtain the best working position.

Then there's a Craftsman seal puller tool, which can be viewed as an ultimate adaptation

of a screwdriver for the purpose of seal removal.

I got the craftsman seal puller; some people say it works great. I couldn't get mine to budge with it but did manage to scratch the cam with it.
I believe the trick is to push the tip away from the shaft when inserting it under the lip. But maybe it's easier said then done. On the right side, I did leave a mark on the camshaft but it was near the sprocket end. It may not be the easiest tool to use, for sure. Bought it because I thought it would be better than a screwdriver, and an "ice pick" type wouldn't fit.

To gain more room for maneuver, I had to remove rear timing cover.

The current Lisle puller might be an improvement of that design.

I put grease on the oil seal lip, all over it, to help prevent it from folding over on installation and give it some lubrication. Usually I put a little engine oil on the outside of the seal to help it drive in otherwise it can be a little tight. Sometimes I use RTV if I gouged up the hole the seal will sit in.

Permatex grey gasket sealant (not ultra grey, though that would be good too) seems to work well. It is liquidy but when it dries a little it is kind of tacky, so it helps the seal go in then holds it in while sealing.

If too much lube is on the outside of the seal, it seems to make it more likely to 'tip' on installation, like the bottom will suddenly go in way deep and the top will pop out.

1) Nice tool. Where do you insert the blade of that tool, between the shaft and seal or between the seal and seal hoder?

2) One way of doing it more easily and without damage with a screwdriver is taking a cheap blade screwdriver and bending the tip slightly to one side. Insert it between the seal and the shaft while straightening the handle toward the shaft getting the tip of the blade AWAY from the shaft. It's the tip of the blade that scores the shaft. Then, taking the lip of the seal holder as a fulcrum point you push the handle down, taking out the top part of the seal.