Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ready to close oil separator plate

I am exactly halfway through replacing the oil separator plate job, and ready to seal the new plate and bolt it all back together.

I have Loctite 518 Anaerobic sealant and Permatex Aviation gasket sealant.

Which of these sealants would YOU use on the new stamped steel plate with button head allen cap screws?

I found plenty of other things to work onwhile underneath, and am considering changing struts now.

BTW: the pictorial thread on Nasioc didn't completely work for me, but was very helpful and encouraging. The Haynes is pretty good too.. I couldn't free the axels without undoing the lower strut bolts, which turned out to be a hugely easy way of freeing the axles.

And for those who are following the Haynes manual, on my 99 Forester 2.5 sohc auto, there are 7 (seven) bolts and nuts holding the bellhousing to the engine, not 4.

Also replacing all exhaust sytem bolts, in anticipation of replacing system in the next year. Tightening down some rattly heat shields. Wirebrushing spots and touching up with rust convertor.

Not a horrible job so far, but we'll see how tough it is to mate up teh tranny to the block.

I used the HF scissors tranny jack. Well worth the $69.:)

X2 on the gray sealant. I dont use permatex brand but gray is the best stuff for anything that holds oil. Did you pull the trans just to replace the plate? That's a lot of work, I pull the motor for that, it's easier. '99 was the year subaru went to more engine to trans bolts, I think it may have been a mid year thing too, some had four some had more.

I think either will work fine; the RTV is easier to use, that's why many manuf's suggest it. The anaerobic sealant might be better but is hard to apply, and might be more sensitive to the surface finish.

Thanks. I used the 518. It seems to be thicker, and easier to apply with a squeeze tube and seemed to set about as sticky as the Av stuff.

I removed the tranny because I can drop that, instead of picking the engine up and out. In limited space it works much better, entirely within the perimeter of the car.