Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT water leak

I rescued an 85 XT4 from the crusher and of course it comes with 'issues' - the main one at this point, in this climate, is that it has a major water leak into the interior of the car. It seems to come in on the front passenger side but also shows up on the driver side too. I pulled the carpet to dry and clean. Anyone ever experienced this with their car or have any ideas - blocked drain hole or ? The windshield seal seems tight.

Thanks.

I had the same problem with my XT6 ...or at least similar...The passenger side floor would fill up with water..and it ended up being allowed to do it for so long that it smelled like a cat littler box inside and had mold everywhere ( This was before I got it..I just got left with the problem) Mine only happened when I had to run the AC...had a clogged drain hole in the box under the dash on the pass side...it would fill with condensation and eventually overflow. I first pulled the hose and no water came out..then I got a coat hanger and started to reem it out..pulled some really really nasty yucky stinky gross stuff out.Now it drains properly.

Does your happen only with the AC or defroster on? or after it rains? ..that would be a help also trying to figure out the problem...when does it happen?

I've been fighting this same problem for the past 2 years :rolleyes:

I assume it has the moonroof, if so, check the "gutter" and check the draining holes AND the tubes going through the A-pillar and C-pillar towards the wheel wells, if these drainage holes are plugged, water will come in.

if these drainage holes are fine, then good luck to you, and please report back if you find it, because I still haven't :mad:

had a car years ago non subaru, but it had a seam that didn't get prpoerly sealed in the fire wall at the factory and it would chanel water into the interior. took a while to figure out since it was painted over and factory sealed just not done right. had to pull out the carpet etc and look while it was raining to figure out where it was coming from. you could just watch water running past the seam with the rain coming down.

Thanks for the replies, still narrowing it down - no moonroof or AC on this one though - cleaned all drain holes that I could find - happens only when it rains - could be a seam as it has slowed to a trickle when I run the hose over the windshield - will silicone the bottom plastic strip - previous owner said he rebuilt the wiper so it may not have been put back together properly.

thanks again