Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about resurrecting the 83

I have an 83 dl wagon that a wheel bearing went out in, I put a new one in, but I didn't grease it enough:dead:, so I had a new bad bearing. That same weekend I looked at an 89 coupe, which is what I'm driving now. The 83's been sitting for a couple weeks now, and the more I think about it, the more I think it's fixable. But I want some opinions as to whether I should put the time and money into it, or just part it out.

It needs:

a windshield

left rear wheel bearing

brake line (not sure which one, but it's in the rear)

gauge cluster

2, possibly 3 axles

2 185/70/r13's (right now its rockin 185's in the rear, and 175's in front)

major exhaust leak fixed

possibly a different rack and pinion, there's slop where the steering shaft comes down and meets it

the heater controls hooked up right

misc. interior parts

I'd like to:

reseal the engine

d/r swap (4-speed for now)

swap a dash from a gl into it

wire up all the gl gauges (if I go that route)

change all the plastic interior pieces from said gl so that colors match.

I don't know how probable doing all this stuff is, but I'd like to see the 83 on the road again someday. Let me know what you think, I need some advice.

get the blue car found here http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80666 in yelm from markjw.

Find an EA82 in the boneyard with SPFI and a d/r 5speed.

Do it.

My strongest advice is, if you CANNOT get a parts car then it probably isn't worth it all in the long run, because all that WILL nickel and dime you pretty bad... restoring an old car is not cheap, even doing a "rough and ready" restore like you are talking about... the only sane and practical way to do it is via a parts car, ESPECIALLY when you start talking about cluster swaps, etc...

BUT, the soobie is the car to go with. They are inexpensive and abundant where you are, functional, and economical, and you obviously already have a "thing" for them, so in the end it is your call.

just swap the intake over then put the wiring harness in. its all there and labeled.

Don't forget about swapping in the SPFI Disty. For an EA81, you'll need to swap the drive gear from the EA81 disty to the EA82 disty.

General Disorder has a nice write up on this somewhere.

So alls I'll have to do is put the spfi intake on the ea81 heads, swap the disty (after swapping the gear) and I'm set?

it came off an ea81 car so the disty is allready done. and included. along with the compleat engine harnes and computer. oh and the intake maf sensor ya its all there.

damn thats alot for a dr tranny. the most iv ever payed is 75 bucks.

$75 for the tranny, $50 for a flywheel, $130 for a clutch, maybe another $25-30 for the linkage and crossmember from a junkyard- Not overpriced at all, is it?

Not to mention this is a known good tranny-