Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Axle spring pin dimensions?

Can someone please caliper a CV Axle spring pin for me and post the

dimensions? I lost one. maybe I can get a roll pin at Ace.

Of course the local dealerships have none in stock. I want to to get this on

the road tonight, even if it's temporary.

Thanks mpergielelmnhurstil99foresterL

I have a new one I can check....but not until I get home this evening....It must be about 1/4", since a 7/32" pin punch fits in there, but 1/4" pin punch is too big. Since it's probably metric I"m going to guess 6mm.

Thanks that will get me there. And thans for the part numner. I'll see what they have.

Sounds good; I'll measure it when I get home. Ace does have roll pins; I think they're just black oxide rolled steel. I don't think they have the serrations like the spring pin, though it would probably work fine. I put some antisieze on my roll pin as it seemed to take a bit to drive it in there.

Uni, just use a large cotter pin. Been working on my 2001 Forester for years. No problema.

I'd just stick a nail in there if it were my car, but it's my GF's car and I kind of compete with her old mechanic for props.

Now that I've straightened out his botched timing belt job and replaced the plastic zip tie he used to secure the cv boot with a proper stainless band, AND solved the exhaust rattle problem, I think I might get some credit, but probably not, because I'm just a code hack and he's a PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC.

The Ace hardware .25x2.00 roll pins work, but they are MAYBE a little tight.

BTW in this process I stopped by Bristol Hose, a hydraulics supplier, and asked them if they had some sort of banding straps I could use for the CV boot. He let me borrow a "TIE-LOK II" ratcheting tool and a handful of .25 "smooth inside diameter (SID)" stainless ties.

Fantastic tool. Too bad it's $300. >400 here:

http://www.gopherindustrial.com/eshop/default.aspx?ControlName=ItemDisplay&item_id=4334EB0E-F946-4FEA-8861-D4BA8159579F&category_id=

• 3 weeks later...
haha right on, Harbor Freight. This caliper is seemingly very well built for the low price, esp on sale.

Me too, now that I need a loup to clearly see those small marks on my regular caliper. Take the battery out between uses. It will die quickly if left in.