Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As a reminder this is on a 2001 OBW, but I did remember that when I previously scanned the car , way back when, I had connected a pair of green wire connectors(called test mode connectors) under the dash, drivers side, next to the console as suggestsed in factory service manual.

When I connected the pair this time it didn't do anything with allowing the scan, but it did set off the check engine light flashing, the engine cooling fan cycling on /off and who knows what else.

Anyone out there had problems scanning their Subaru?

I heard mention of the cigar lighter fuse being tied into the test port, is this the case? What does the green test mode connector do? Do any of the symptoms I mentioned when the test connetor was connected make any sense?

The scanner was ISO 9141 protocol, but had it updated to the KWP 2000 a while back , should that matter?

You shouldn't have to couple the green test mode connectors to do an OBDII scan. Assuming the Harrison scanner incorporates the proper communication protocol, I'd check for a possibly blown fuse in the Subaru.

[...]Do any of the symptoms I mentioned when the test connetor was connected make any sense?
Yes, that's typical behavior with the test mode connectors attached. Leave them disconnected.

The scanner was ISO 9141 protocol, but had it updated to the KWP 2000 a while back , should that matter?
I''try Auto Zone , but it work at one time, so I don't know if the protocol update makes a difference or not.
If the scanner was ISO-9141 compatible and working properly, adding KWP2000 compatibility shouldn't have changed things; if it did, I'd suggest asking Harrison R&D what's going on.

OB99W, any idea what fuse it might be?
Not offhand, but the DLC (Diagnostic Link Connector) definitely is fused, usually along with other things on the same circuit.

I thank you both for your help, I will check for a blown fuse. Dan Harrison of Harrison R&D has assurred me that the addition of the new protocol would not effect it. I'll post to this message when I check the fuse, and if it is OK I'll return the scanner for a check up as he suggested. I have no idea how these scanners work but he figures the ISO 9141 protocol isn't functioning and the KWP 2000 is, hence the ability to scan my 2003 Ford work van, but not the 2001 Subaru. Does that make sense?

[...]he figures the ISO 9141 protocol isn't functioning and the KWP 2000 is, hence the ability to scan my 2003 Ford work van, but not the 2001 Subaru. Does that make sense?
Yes, it's possible for only the ISO-9141 operation to be faulty.

You may have checked for this already, but make sure that none of the pins are bent and that the connector is being fully inserted; sometimes they're a bit tight and don't make good contact without a little "convincing". If you can easily get to the back of the DLC in the car, make sure all of it's pins are latched into the connector body.

Otherwise, if it's not something simple like a blown fuse or connector trouble on the Subaru, then it could be a problem with the ECU (but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet).

• 3 weeks later...