Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque bind just started . . . too late?

I have a '95 Legacy Wagon, 5 speed, with 285,000 miles. I've been great with all of the maintenance, but stupid about tires. I have one newer tire, which has been on for probably 30,000 miles more than the others (which have over 100,000 miles on them). Anyway, I've started noticing a little bit of noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear end when at speed, but I thought it might be a wheel bearing. I've already had to replace a couple, which is to be expected at this kind of mileage. But today when backing out of a parking space and turning the wheel hard there were a couple of

clunks. I then tried doing some circles in the parking lot and wasn't able to replicate it.

I've ordered some new tires, and I don't plan to drive it until they are installed. Should I get the transmission fluid replaced when they do the tires? Should I not even bother with the tires?

Adam

Well the best reasonable bet is, get the new tires put on asap (and hope/check they all measure within 1/4" circumference).

If you are experiencing torque bind as you say on a manual trans, a gear oil change is of no avail....the 'center diff' is a sealed unit with its own silicone oil and changing the gear oil will make zero difference.

i do not think this is torque bind. it is either a bad bushing (like the differential mount), or the driveshaft like John said.

crawl under the vehicle and grab the differential and drive shaft and try to shake each of them. if there is play in either one, this could be your problem. of the soobs i've worked on "clunking in the rear" usually ends up being rear differential bushings.

dropping the rear differentail and driveshaft would help diagnose as well, then you can inspect any bushings and the driveshaft.