Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5

Is there any difference in the Right Rear and Left Rear ABS sensor? Dealer told me the parts are different (they give different part numbers). Found a good deal on a right rear used abs sensor, but I actually need the left one. Someone else is telling me infact they are the same, wondering if anyone else might have any ideas.

I doubt it, Although Possibly mounting differently, You say you have the right one? so take of the left wheel and take a look, there not hard to replace. and worse case scenario, you have to buy the other one! and not to say your ignorant or anything but, are you sure its the sensor or is it something else??? Whats the situation with your car?? :)

Thats interestering, I wonder why one is different than the other...

my guess is that the mounting bolt is either in front of or behind the sensor.

if the mounting bolt is to the left or right of the sensor , then there will have to be a left and right. if the mountig bolt were above or below the sensor, then they could be interchangeable.

I doubt it, Although Possibly mounting differently, You say you have the right one? so take of the left wheel and take a look, there not hard to replace. and worse case scenario, you have to buy the other one! and not to say your ignorant or anything but, are you sure its the sensor or is it something else??? Whats the situation with your car?? :)

I havn't bought it yet, just found a good deal on the right side sensor, just wanted to be sure before I bought it. The ebrake shoes fell apart inside the wheel and it chewed the abs sensor into pieces. I guess I will just keep looking around for a decent deal on a left side sensor, as subaru price seems to be $310.00 Thanks for all the info.

ABSOLUTLY DO NOT let a dealer take advantage of you like that, DO NOT EVER let them charge you list price, there just testing you, If i get charged list price on something I take it back and go somewhere else (along with a few comments to make them feel bad)!!!

One of my local Subaru dealers does that too, double list price on walk-in parts sales. Pretty much any dealer where you just walk-in and ask to buy a part, you're going to pay the highest price that dealer charges anyone. It is up to the dealer to charge whatever they want; Subaru's MSRP price as far as I can tell is roughly 40% above dealer cost.