Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My venture into the New Gen side...

Wow..we are all starting to go New gen...but I still prefer old school personally. New i gen is alright..but they seem to lack the "personality" of the old school. I bet that turbo is fun though.

OH and here is my mismatched 93 Imp L sedan EJ18 5 spd AWD Daily Driver:

RSPheebs.jpg

An EJ22T powered Outback Wagon :cool:

actually, it's about 2.4L with a mix of parts, so not sure what to "call" it...

if I remember correctly, it's a EJ25 block with EJ22T crank and Rods, with the newest flat top EJ25 pistons to get it up to about 8:1 comp rat.

There was a little bit of discussion of the engine on Legacy Central last year when it was built.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

a while back I finally found the main culprit of my hesitations... bad o2 sensor... unplugged it, and it ran better and got slightly better mileage :)

anyway, the cat was getting plugged, so I ordered some parts, and finally installed tonight a 3" bellmouth downpipe, wrapped and sealed, and a new OEM O2 sensor. I put on a heat shield bracket, but the heat shield didn't quite fit because of something else on the car.... I'll just make a heat shield for it....

the downpipe was about 10" longer than the ej22t one, so I ended up cutting out the resonator section, and getting some temp pieces to use until I can get it in to my exhaust place, and finish the rest in 3"... though I need to get one more piece yet...

I also cleaned and resealed both foglights, until I can get a good pair.... still need 1 bulb though...

got a walbro 255 fuel pump to go in yet, and some new struts coming. now just need to get the King Springs lift springs...

and I guess I did change out the adapter for the bypass valve...

97ENG.JPG

Really makes me want to get my mis-matched color (White, Green, and Blue) turbo swapped legacy on the road too, but that will have to wait until this summer when I can really spend some time with it. Any idea how much power you are getting out of the engine? AT or MT?

I can't even image how much fun that car is.

..... hmmm is this from Frantic four too??)

I got this from Tacoma. Josh Long built it. I had seem some thread with his name and Frantic Four, but don't know if there's a connection...

He just wanted to be able to build and run a Turbo from the parts he had laying around....

I've been documenting stuff and have had lots of contact with him since...

It appears that this is what the build consists of:

ej22t crank & rods

ej25 (NA) block halves.

ej25 DOHC heads ('96 with hydro adjusters)

newer EJ25 flat top pistons

ej20g intake manifold with 440cc injectors

vf8 turbo (ej20g)

ej22t exhaust (until I put the downpipe in)

ej22t fuel pump

2002 WRX top mount IC

ej22t bypass valve (I replaced with the TurboXS one)

ej22t ECU & wiring harness. original ej25 harness/ECU is gone, and the ej22t ECU sits in it's place, and is all wired in, and I can check code like normal (ej22t way)

comes in around 2.4 liters with around 8:1 compression ratio

Really makes me want to get my mis-matched color (White, Green, and Blue) turbo swapped legacy on the road too, but that will have to wait until this summer when I can really spend some time with it. Any idea how much power you are getting out of the engine? AT or MT?

I can't even image how much fun that car is.

Never been on a dyno. Josh though maybe 205-210hp at stock boost 8-9 lbs.

The outback is a 5 speed 4.11 with LSD in rear. yesterday I stopped to talk to a friend who girlfriend has a 97 Leg wagon. when I left he said show me some dust.... so when I left, I revved a bit, then dropped it, and it actually sat me back in my seat... it is a lot of fun.... I still need to get the tint removed from the front windows though, so anti-fun isn't attracted to me :)

• 2 weeks later...