Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering Pump

Okay, so the major source of oil on my motor is the power steering pump. Over the last three years it has gone from slow leak to awful leak, and it's high time I did something about it.

I have no clue where it's leaking from; the entire back plate of the pump is sodden. I'm GUESSING that a junkyard pump would be in order, but the yards around here have started taking caps off of things like brake master cylinders, radiators, and steering pumps, so I am going to wait until I see a new car dropped off to try and snag one. Any worries about getting the "right" pump or were they all the same?

Any chance that rebuilding the pump I have may be a better option? How difficult would it be to temporarily rig the rack hoses together if I take it apart, and can't fix it or replace it immediately? I understand it's simply a matter of plugging the hoses from either end to each other so the rack stays lubed, but is it the sort of thing that can be done quickly, and temporarily, then easily restored to a stock setup?

I may just opt to delete power steering permanently, but I also need to check into the condition of my rack bushings. My entire front end is in need of a thorough inspection, plus I want to disassemble, inspect, and re-pack my drive axles with grease, so the front shoulders of my car are going to be getting a massage very soon.