Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How hard to change a front axle?

I was able to do it with the instructions from a haynes manuel. The drivers side is easily because the exhaust is not in the way. Just be sure to break the axle nut loose a little bit before raising it up, but not much so you wont damage the bearing.

The inner CV boot, front passenger side, has failed on my 2000 OBW. It seems to be better to replace the entire axle assembly than trying to replace just the boot. How hard a job is this for a reasonbly competent DIYer?

Yes just replace the whole axle. Subaru OEM reman (~$180) or MWE reman axle is good.

I just did this job on '00obw; it is not too difficult. The write up linked above is basically what I followed. I removed the strut to bearing housing bolts and was able to get enough clearance to extract the axle. I also replaced the inner wheel bearing seal at this time.

Here's some pics from when I did this job:

splitboot1.jpg

pinpunch1.jpg

punchrollpin1.jpg

impact1.jpg

camber1.jpgcamber2.jpg

extract1.jpg

extracted1.jpg

wheelbearinginnerseal1.jpg

Yes, I didn't see any practicable way to drive it out from the bottom, so I removed the snorkus stuff. It is kind of tight to swing a hammer down in there. So I used the extensions with the 7/32" pin punch taped into a socket attached to the extensions to drive it out. Drive it out from the non-tapered side, drive it in the tapered side.

rollpin1.jpg

To re-emphasize what's likely in the write-up. Mark the top bolt on the strut, as it affects your alignment. If you put it back in the same place you shouldn't need to get it re-aligned.

The socket was a 1 1/4 (32mm) on my '90, but that's a distant relative of your OB.

On my '00obw, which should be the same as yours, it was 32mm. Depending on what axle you get, it may or may not come with a new axle nut.

I'm not really sure what the difference is, but the manual describes an olive colored nut for the rear I think and a gold colored nut for the front. I ordered a four axle nuts from subarupartsforyou.com, which they the same part # for the front and rear, but I got two gold and two olive. I'd have to see if they showed different part #'s on the bags; or maybe it really doesn't matter.

axlenut1.jpg

axlenut2.jpgtorch3.jpg

that is one rusted nut!
haha yes, you should see the rest of the suspension components! The salt is brutal. I'm not going to drive '00obw in the winter anymore hoping to make it last without visible body rust. We can run studded snows here, but only between like november and march or something; else it's like a $500 ticket if you get caught with them on the freeways.

It appears that it is easiest to drive out the DOJ drift pin on the passenger side from above, after removing the air filter housing and snorkel. But on the driver's side, it appears that the starter is in the way of an effort to approach the pin from above. Is it possible to drive the pin out from the bottom on the driver's side?

i did both sides this past weekend , and marked the bolts before i started , the car before this would pull to the right , but i have very bad tires all the way around , which side would i adjust to correct this after i get new tires ? the top bolts are for adjustment