Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0303 CEL visits AGAIN! '97 GT 2.5 DOHC !

Hi all!

Well my CEL came on again! And it happened again in the same way! I was going down the Turnpike...cruise control 73 MPH, then it comes on!

This happened back in August, same Turnpike, same cruise speed. That time it did a little flashing, not this time! Back in August I went to my buddies garage, it had the code P0303, misfire cylinder #3. All we did was clear the code, nothing happed for a few days. I snooped around here, the recomonadations I found were the usual, replace Plugs, Wires, Coil. Well I did ALL that back when the car had another code, that said misfire #1. These parts have 35K miles on them, not exactly old! The car runs fine, no skipping, no hard starting. Back in August with the first round of this problem (CEL P0303) added some Fuel System (Chevron Techtron) Cleaner, it's the only other suggestion I did do anything about (bad injectors) I did notice that the car was a little peppier, my gas milage rose by 1 mile per G or so. So what gives?? It runs fine, I just cleared the code today, I doubt it comes back! What DOES highway driving do to cause this? I have 163K miles on the car, it had a rebuild at 80k, the blown cylinder problem, it has a new lower end, and YES, new Head Gaskets!

Many thanks, SubeeTed

Hi all!

... replace Plugs, Wires, Coil. Well I did ALL that back when the car had another code, that said misfire #1. These parts have 35K miles on them, not exactly old!...

Before you get all comfortable with your maintenance routine, I think that the plugs are 30,000 mile replacement items. Maybe they're due? :)

Steve

I think they were NGK Platinums...I really don't recall. But I do remember that my buddy (mechanic) saying that they were a 100K plug. Because as we all know that they are a pain to install in these DOHC engines!!

Before you get all comfortable with your maintenance routine, I think that the plugs are 30,000 mile replacement items. Maybe they're due? :)

Steve