Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo XT or XT6?

XT6 = 5 lug. More torque, already set up for a bigger/heavier engine. Wins all round.

If I were to look into getting an XT, which would be better? An XT turbo or an XT6? Especially considering that I'd like to do engine mods/transplant to it.

XT6.

there's no aftermarket support for these so "engine mods" are very limited if yo'ure looking for bolt on parts.

an XT Turbo probably has the potential to be "quicker" with the stock engine. it would require exhaust and turbo work and without it the XT Turbo's are quite a bit slower than the XT6. just keep in mind, neither are fast. if you do decide with an XT Turbo get the harder to find but nicer 1987.5 version.

be sure to join us at http://subaruxt.com/forum/index.php

Btw, what makes the 1987.5 nicer?
not much, spider intake manifold and XT6 style hood/bumpers, and a bit more power. personal preference, it's a tad nicer and they are harder to find. if i was getting one there's just no point in getting an earlier model. if price is your hang up, then yeah maybe the older ones are nicer, but if yo'ure doing a swap and such why not get the best.

Come on guys, there are all kinds of mods out there for the XT6, you just have to fabricate them yourself!:lol:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72535

Really though, Its all about how much money you have to throw around, and what you feel you can accomplish. The nice thing is there are alot of parts that are interchangable between the 2 engines. If you go turbo you can swap between a few different pistion CR's. Most of your mods will be custom.

GL

Scott

Well, looks like I'm going to have to save some money and keep my eye out for an XT6 then. And by engine mod I was thinking swap/retrofit.

Thanks.

Btw, what makes the 1987.5 nicer?

So, what are you considering as a swap or retrofit? If you are planning on a 6 cylinder to swap in, I'd say consider the XT6. If 4 cylinder turbo, go with the lighter XT turbo.

And what Gary said! :grin:

So, what are you considering as a swap or retrofit? If you are planning on a 6 cylinder to swap in, I'd say consider the XT6. If 4 cylinder turbo, go with the lighter XT turbo.

That is the sticking point. I'm not sure where I would want to go with it. The XT6 is the newer machine with a better base from upgrading off of (?), including more engine compartment room (??) for possible 6 cyl N/A swaps. Although the XT turbo is evidently lighter, probably cheaper and the EJ20T will fit fine as well as provide a very versatile base for upgrades engine wise. The rest of the parts around the XT turbo will be more "antiquated" (as if that word can really ever apply to a Subaru) though. For example, can you get an XT turbo with the AWD 5spd manual of the XT6? I'm so sick of one side tire spin in the rain in my FWD only '81 wagon. :(

Oh, and I'm poor, at the moment. I threw this out here now so that I can get an idea of what to look for as I build up funds though.

I may be selling my 87.5 XT-T....and I'm in W.WA.

Let me know if you want more info and pics.

If your close to me, you can even come look at it ;)

I'd love to check it out and talk in person. I live in Puyallup, work in Federal Way and should be in Shohomish this week to start picking apart a t-boned '95 Legacy that will be donating an engine to a BRAT. I make the rounds. :-p

Come on guys, there are all kinds of mods out there for the XT6, you just have to fabricate them yourself!:lol:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72535

Really though, Its all about how much money you have to throw around, and what you feel you can accomplish. The nice thing is there are alot of parts that are interchangable between the 2 engines. If you go turbo you can swap between a few different pistion CR's. Most of your mods will be custom.

GL

Scott

*blink blink* :eek::slobber::headbang:

That is awesome.

Hopefully I'll get a job in my field soon and make some good money. hehe

If anybody is still reading this...

Can you turn an XT into an XT6? Can you swap out the suspension, transmission, and all that jazz? If I got an 87.5 XT turbo, I'd want to modernize it as much as possible.

I've been looking around to find the difference between the XT turbo, 87.5 XT turbo and the XT6, but I'm not finding much. :-p

technically yes you could do that. it would be quite a bit of work, but i think i have a better option for you - 1988-1991 XT, read on.

the earlier models have a different nose, radiator supports and latching mechanism for the hood, so you would want to avoid those in my oppinion. yes it could still be done but you'd have to do some modifications there. the earlier models also have rear lights imbedded in the rear bumpers and some have lower trim levels - down to not even having a rear seat in some cases. Subaru's only 2 seater??

actually if you're wanting to do an engine swap AND get it to be as much of an XT6 as possible...then you really want to get a 1988-1991 XT. then if you like the look of the turbo, just buy a turbo hood. that would save you all the hassle of older parts, you'd probably have a better interior, and you wouldn't have to deal with the digi-dash of the XT Turbo.

now once you get an XT you'd need to do a 5 lug swap. 5 lug swap parts are harder to find than XT6's though....so really what you're trying to do is far simpler to just get an XT6. there's usually a couple for sale at the XT6 site.

suspension - well the XT6 comes with air suspension so you'll have to decide if you want to keep that or not. that would be a PITA to swap all the wiring, solenoids, air lines, compressor, tanks, sensors and computer in for that...no one would do that in their right mind. again...far easier to just buy an XT6. now, the XT6 suspension isn't too difficult to upgrade but you'll just want to check out our suspension info at xt6.net, do a search here, do a search there, spend some time reading and start another thread - that would take pages and pages to cover.

if you want the look and modernity of the XT6 - get an XT6 or a 1988-1991 XT.

Okay, I'm finally starting to become enlightened. I think it helps that I've spent the last 9 hours at work scouring SubaruXT.com. :grin:

I'm thinking I'd eventually want to upgrade to Legacy/Impreza brake parts and an EJ20T anyway, so as long as the XT is upgradeable it would be fine. Anything from 87.5 XT turbo up to 91 XT that is. I'm willing, and plan, to do the work on the car to upgrade anything I'm not keen on.

it sounds to me like you woudln't want to keep the air suspension - if that's the case just get an XT. you'll actually avoid headaches with an XT over a 1987.5 XT Turbo anyway - digidash, air suspension and should expand your market range a bit.

1987.5 was the last year the XT Turbo was available. 1988 - 1991 will be XT only or XT6.

with all the effort and money for this kind of work i'd just get an XT6, you'll have everything you need. by the time you pay for 5 lug swap parts and do all that work, that's just not worth it.

hours spent over at subarxt? awesome, good to hear you're using it!

it sounds to me like you woudln't want to keep the air suspension - if that's the case just get an XT. you'll actually avoid headaches with an XT over a 1987.5 XT Turbo anyway - digidash, air suspension and should expand your market range a bit.

Well, digidash I'm finding cool and I wouldn't mind the air suspension, but you are right, it would go as soon as it went belly up (not sure if it is already) AND I could manage to upgrade it. Market range isn't looking like it will be an issue since I'm pretty sure Turbone is looking to pawn his 87.5 XT turbo off on me. :clap:

with all the effort and money for this kind of work i'd just get an XT6, you'll have everything you need. by the time you pay for 5 lug swap parts and do all that work, that's just not worth it.

This whole car would be one ongoing project, so I expect it to cost me a penny or two over a period of time. I don't have the money to just drop on it and buy parts upon parts in one fell swoop, but I will have the dedication to keep at it as the money flows in. If the 5 lug is going to be a hassle, so be it, that's the nature of the beast. The transmission is what scares me the most. I guess what it comes down to is, is it worth getting an 87.5 XT turbo if I know what I'm getting myself into? Basically, knowing that everything on that car is going to change (lugs, transmission, suspension) and is going to require a lot of time and money.

I count my options as:

1) Get a 4EAT 87.5 XT turbo (if Turbone sells) and slowly upgrade it.

2) Pass on it and keep my eyes out for something closer to where I want to eventually end up (5spd MT, 5 lug, low on rust scale).

3) Get a 4EAT 87.5 XT turbo (if Turbone sells) and look for a MT XT6 with manageable rust anyway. :lol: (the obvious downside being that this will be the most expensive, and slowest option)

Why does it have to be so difficult? I just want an XT to love, cherish and grow old with. :(:grin:

One last question, do 5 lug swaps have to come from the XT6, or is there another car that can donate?

you'll need XT6 parts for the 5 lug. TONS of information out there and there are a number of options so again, it would take a few pages to cover it all here and we'd be covering it all over again. basically you need the XT6 stuff for the rear. the fronts you can mix and match some EJ stuff, like use EJ or XT6 front hubs, but you'll still need XT6 control arms. and no, EJ stuff is completely entirely different in the rear, so you can't use that. just look at one before asking "why", they are a totally different set up.

i still think your best bet is to save and buy the perfect vehicle to start with. if it's a project car then it's going to have significant down time anyway, so just consider this time looking and saving as part of that same down time.

get the xt6. if the motor craps thden at least you still have 5 lug suspension

if the one you get has air suspensions swap in the rear struts with any older subatru and thefront struts with imprezas.

the suspension has the potential to retrofit 05 legacy struts and brakes on the rar and anything to current line wrx sti brembo setup on the front.

my.02

I count my options as:

1) Get a 4EAT 87.5 XT turbo (if Turbone sells) and slowly upgrade it.

2) Pass on it and keep my eyes out for something closer to where I want to eventually end up (5spd MT, 5 lug, low on rust scale).

3) Get a 4EAT 87.5 XT turbo (if Turbone sells) and look for a MT XT6 with manageable rust anyway. :lol: (the obvious downside being that this will be the most expensive, and slowest option)

Well guys, I've decided to sort of take your advice. I'm going with option 3. I love the 87.5 XT turbo and want to get it to drive. It won't be my project car (only bigish project will be to put air suspension back in it. I want that back baaaaad), just my car. I'll then take all of your advice and get an XT6 as my actual project car. It will be the one that I overhaul since it will make a better base. Plus, this way I'll still have an XT to drive while the XT6 is out of commission! :banana: