Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So What Caused my XT6s Windshield to crack???

And the answer from the tech is........a bad previous replacement..some rust under the windshield ( we fixed it ) causeing some pressure...and the heat from the day along with a rapid cool off..toss it all together and..CRACK. He even said he had 5 cases this year when it was hot of his replacement window cracking..on the stand.

It took the tech over 2 hours to do this job..and that was with me helping. His words were..who ever did the previous repair..either to fix a leak or something..was a clueless moron...we had to pull almost a whole tube of silicone out from under the one trim piece...ending up bending both( not bad though )..and bending out the lower cowl ...note to self..I have to reseal that today.

On a good note..I was suprised at the LACK of rust under the windshield..very minor or he would have refused to put the window back in until it was professionally repaired and proof shown.

Now I have to clean out a bunch of stuff from the garage to make room to bring him inside..watch the For Sale section I will be getting rid of alot of stuff ( OK not alot) tossing alot out and if you have stuff being stored here it needs to go.ASAP.. or its getting tossed or used for welding practice and then tossed...I need the room

what was your total cost in the end?

It is a GREAT thing to know the condition of the rails underneath there, so in the end at least it was a simple solution, hopefully not to pricey.

Regarding parts, I have to make a post about that power steering pump to see if I can use it (never got back to you in PM) but I think I will likely just nab a junkyard unit locally; I will let you know soon if I have any interest in it.

It is a GREAT thing to know the condition of the rails underneath there, so in the end at least it was a simple solution, hopefully not to pricey.

Regarding parts, I have to make a post about that power steering pump to see if I can use it (never got back to you in PM) but I think I will likely just nab a junkyard unit locally; I will let you know soon if I have any interest in it.

let us know what parts youve got

ben

It was $245 total ...not too bad.It could have been alot worse. When he explained about what..by law...they had to do if it was rusted too bad. ( the professional repair and proof)