Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have only been driveing regularly for about 3 months now and i have almost hit close to 20 deer. I live in northern NJ by a state park. The most interesting thing i almost hit was a red fox. My friend though has hit three deer and a bear (at 50 no less) in the same car with minamal damage. This my have something to do with the fact that he drives a tank with couches in it ('78 Buick Le Saber (sp?))

When an animal runs out in front of me i hit the breaks then check for someone behind me, if there isnt anyone i push harder and if there is room i will swearve but if there isnt i wont.

I hit 3 deer while delivering newspapers a few years ago...one was in my Justy doing about 65 on the highway...all it did was put a small dent in the hood.... I am terrified now though cause I have a good commute to work..all back roads and days I drive my XT6 I am just terrified...If anything happened to that car I would die.

Seems you do less damage at higher speeds then slow..like the Justy...it just leg swiped it and it flew over the car...yet when I hit one doing 25 in my crappy Cavalier..over $1700

It doesnt matter..it sucks to hit anything..

Deer danger is no doubt very real and serious. to swerve or hit, will depnnd on road, traffic, size of deer(they vary al ot in different parts of country) and passenger loading, angle of expected hit etc. and all tha canbe thought of in a quick second. I have had good luck with flashing lights on and off(as opposed to hi-lo beam), was easier to do with dash board in and out switches. I worry more aboutthe ones standing inn the ditches as they can jump to hit you just as you drive by.

And a hit is not always good either, my fathers cousin was killed on a 2 lane road, car driving opposite way hit deer, flipped it up in air, and escaped serious injury. but coming down it smashed into cousins car killing him.

The state of Penn did a study a few years back I am told on ways to reduce deer-car crashes. Whistles, fences, warning lights, driver education, etc. The only method with a direct statistical correlation was the increase in the number of deer taken by hunting and the recommendation was said to be increase the deer harvest. With no natural predetors in many areas these "rats" have multiplied.

On a recent drive from Mo. down I-44 thru Okla, I was counting 1 dead deer per mile on the median just after crossing into Okla....I know that some had to have caused some serious accidents form the skid marks.

here in the Adirondacks we have deer everywhere. Even a few moose! You hit one of them suckers, and its likely to hurt... I nailed a buck with a Nissan Stanza many years ago. It came over the hood but thankfully not through the windshield. The car was drivable and 2 days later, before I had it in for the damage estimate, a 87 year old man in a old Chevy Kingswood wagon ran a redlight and t-boned me...so much for 'fixxing' the Stanza. And I'll take the deer over a old guy in a tank any day! LOL. Seriously, I would vote with the majority and say its better to hit the deer than swerve with the potential of causing a worse scenario. But try to DO that when the suckers leap in front of you out of nowhere. Instincts take over. A good topic now that deer season is open here. I have to practice fighting the urge to swerve...