Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seaform...

Ok i know what Seafoam is!! Because i have ther deep creep stuff. But i wanted to know what the stuff that you put in your gas/oil was called.. And i know" I never think of the search feature....

I'll look at Wal-mart and see what i find.. Because how many types do they make?

• 2 weeks later...
PS: It's not like slick 50 is it? I will never use that stuff in my Roo, I was told you have to keep useing it...... But i don't think Seafoam is like that....

Seafoam's more of a one-shot deal than something that lives in your crankcase for the rest of your vehicle's life - the way I usually do it is to spray about one-third of the can down the intake while the engine's running, switch off and let it sit for around 15 minutes, then put the rest into the fuel tank with a full tank of gas.

Be careful when pouring or spraying into the intake since adding too much at once puts you at risk of hydrolock. I personally prefer the spray because it's harder to accidentally spill in too much at once; it's also easier to get it distributed evenly throughout the intake. At about the point where the engine starts bogging down, back off on adding more Seafoam, let the idle come back up to normal, and add more.

After you've added your third of a can and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, start up again (it may be a little reluctant to catch, but this is normal) and set the idle at 2000rpm. Enjoy the smoke show; once the volume of smoke coming out of the tailpipe is around half what it was initially, crank the idle down to around 1500rpm. Once that one's down to half its volume, re-set the idle to normal and let it blow the last of the carbon out.

This is how I usually do mine; unless I'm feeling less lazy than normal I don't bother with getting it directly into the intake manifold via the brake booster vacuum line or similar. And I have to say that while I don't believe in miracles-in-a-can, it's worked very well for me over the years on both carburetted and fuel-injected vehicles. With 173,200 miles on the clock, the Brat now has much improved throttle response, smoother idling, and less top-end din (it still needs a carb rebuild, but there's only so much Seafoam can do ;) ). For about six bucks a can twice a year, it's well worth it.

One thing I'll add: I've never used it in the crankcase. My preference is to do a diesel flush prior to whichever oil change falls at the six-month mark, so can't really comment on Seafoam's effectiveness there.

Yeah that's what i was kinda thinking, I think i'll do that with the spray can right into the TB.. Should i pull the air intake off the TB or shoot it into the IAC hose? Because Mike said if i pull the big rubber air intake off the TB it will cause a hugh vaccum leak and will be hard to keep it running which is ture. But don't worry about it i'll figure it out..

later bro....

PS: Happy to hear it helped you Brat alot. Nice brat too!!

-Tom

Yeah that's what i was kinda thinking, I think i'll do that with the spray can right into the TB.. Should i pull the air intake off the TB or shoot it into the IAC hose? Because Mike said if i pull the big rubber air intake off the TB it will cause a hugh vaccum leak and will be hard to keep it running which is ture. But don't worry about it i'll figure it out..

Yep, TB's the easiest. Unless you're planning on cleaning the IAC itself at the same time, the TB's probably your best bet.

PS: Happy to hear it helped you Brat alot. Nice brat too!!

Thanks!