Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 88 GL Sedan 4WD

Hello USMB. First post.

Here's my Subaru: 88, GL (non turbo), 4wd, automatic, 4 door sedan, 124k miles, no mods. I paid $900 for it nearly a year ago (117k miles) which is probably a bit much but I was desperate for a car that would pass Denver's cursed emissions test and I was told if you bought from a dealer it had to pass. Also recently moved from Burritoville, Texas to here and, never having driven in snow before, thought it might be good to have 4wd. (It did come in handy last winter.)

The thing I hate the most about this car is gas mileage. My previous car was a 89 Sentra and it sipped fuel. This Subaru drinks 21mpg on average, mostly city driving. I expected better from a Jap car, but not all Jap cars are alike I guess. Leaking oil and trans fluid are less annoying but still an issue.

Other than that, the car seems okay. I don't know much about the history. I believe the first owner had it most of it's life and used it like a granny before it bounced around between a few short term owners.

I'm torn between trading it in and fixing it up. I would like to make cross country roadtrips in the next couple years and don't know if this is the car to do it in. If I had enough faith in its reliability that would make up for the extra gas.

Since I don't know the last time the timing belt has been replaced, should I just replace it now? I might have to pay a mechanic to do so. I'm somewhat inclined but I don't really have a place to work on the car myself.

Anyway, I just wanted to jump in. I've visited this site several times and wasn't sure if it was an active board or not but it looks to be.

Welcome to the board.

First off ..your gas mileage is lower cause of 2 reasons...4WD and the fact its an AT...that AT is cursed and the weak point of the car..many members swap it to a 5 spd cause it will gain some speed and the gas mileage will go into the higher 20s low 30s...if it was a FWD model..you would be in the high 30s to 40s if the car is running right. Try getting a $20 O2 sensor and replacing it..might help some

Yes swap the timing belts...not a big deal to do ..use the search here on the board..there is a step by step in the USRM ( ultimate subaru repair manual)..On a good note..if you break one of the belts..it doesnt matter its a non-interference motor.

I bought my old 92 Loyale wagon from a dealer 5 years ago for $600..FWD 5 spd ..It was just adopted by a great loving family who could fix the things I couldnt...I dont think you paid too much honestly..not from a dealer.

OH! and if you are new and going to talk about the car..you know you have to post pics...we all are picture hos here.:grin:

Welcome to the board.

First off ..your gas mileage is lower cause of 2 reasons...4WD and the fact its an AT...that AT is cursed and the weak point of the car..many members swap it to a 5 spd cause it will gain some speed and the gas mileage will go into the higher 20s low 30s...if it was a FWD model..you would be in the high 30s to 40s if the car is running right. Try getting a $20 O2 sensor and replacing it..might help some

Yes swap the timing belts...not a big deal to do ..use the search here on the board..there is a step by step in the USRM ( ultimate subaru repair manual)..On a good note..if you break one of the belts..it doesnt matter its a non-interference motor.

I bought my old 92 Loyale wagon from a dealer 5 years ago for $600..FWD 5 spd ..It was just adopted by a great loving family who could fix the things I couldnt...I dont think you paid too much honestly..not from a dealer.

OH! and if you are new and going to talk about the car..you know you have to post pics...we all are picture hos here.:grin:

speaking of which ive got to post pics of my new wheels and tires. there really good cars and youve got one with decent miles. mine has over 200 thousand and still running on original drive train. Lots of people here to help you. lots of parts for sale. Man i did a tune up on mine and its like a totally different car. they are quirky sometimes but the people here can help you with that.

Ben

How does the engine run? Does it idle smoothly? When you start it, and let it sit, it should idle in park at about 1200-1400 RPM for a few moments, until the car warms up. At one point, kind of all of a sudden, the idle should drop down to like, 7-900ish.

Your 4wd automatic driveline IS robbing you of potential gas mileage.. a FWD 5 speed is capable of 35 no sweat. Obviously driving it around in FWD will increase mileage, but you shouldn't run it in 4wd on dry pavement anyhow.

Before I get into much, have you ever seen a CEL come on on this car? if so, check out this article for information on how to deal with that.

Three distinct possibilities for poor mileage. A bad O2 sensor has already been mentioned, and is wise to simply swap out pre emptively. The O2 sensor should be mounted in the catalytic converter, between the pipes coming from either side of the engine.

Second possibility is a bad or dirty MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. This is a little black unit that screws into the side of a tubular aluminum jobby, just after your air filter box. Unplug it, undo the screws, carefully remove the unit, and spray it clean with some quick drying electronic parts cleaner from CRC, or some other relatively mild aerosol solvent like carb cleaner or weak brake cleaner. Take care, the milder the solvent the better. The MAF is two tiny wires that are little heater coils; if either breaks then you need a replacement. Easy to clean, helps clear rough idle conditions and running conditions up.

Third chance is that you have a corroded connection to you Coolant Temperature Sensor. This tells the ECU how hot the engine is, and the ECU adjusts fuel delivery accordingly. If the plug is fouled, and the computer sees more resistance in the circuit than it should, then it enrichens the mixture. I have no photo to post to show you which plug it is, maybe someone else can oblige?

Pull your spark plugs. See what they look like, and match them up to this image here

spark_plugs.jpg

Use NGK spark plugs (BPR6ES-11) and decent wires, or better. cheapos can cause headaches. Check the distributor cap and rotor, check the air filter, change the fuel filter if you haven't already. Smell all around the car for gas with the engine running. Get on the ground in front of the passenger rear wheel and sniff around for gas. Somethings things get old and leaky.

Make sure you are running the right size tires, and not utterly throwing your MPG calculations off. 175-70 13 is the stock size for GL, sometimes 185 or 165.

The timing belt is NOT an awfully major job, and with patience and a bit of previous experience it should be doable in 24-48 hours; its the sort of thing where if you can find a place for a day or two, and have the needed tools, its NOT a major chore to accomplish with haste. God forbid, IF the job gets put off and the belts should break, its a non interference engine so no bent valves.

HTH, good luck. my 3AT FWD gets about 25mpg. :-\

How does the engine run? Does it idle smoothly? When you start it, and let it sit, it should idle in park at about 1200-1400 RPM for a few moments, until the car warms up. At one point, kind of all of a sudden, the idle should drop down to like, 7-900ish.

Your 4wd automatic driveline IS robbing you of potential gas mileage.. a FWD 5 speed is capable of 35 no sweat. Obviously driving it around in FWD will increase mileage, but you shouldn't run it in 4wd on dry pavement anyhow.

Before I get into much, have you ever seen a CEL come on on this car? if so, check out this article for information on how to deal with that.

Three distinct possibilities for poor mileage. A bad O2 sensor has already been mentioned, and is wise to simply swap out pre emptively. The O2 sensor should be mounted in the catalytic converter, between the pipes coming from either side of the engine.

Second possibility is a bad or dirty MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. This is a little black unit that screws into the side of a tubular aluminum jobby, just after your air filter box. Unplug it, undo the screws, carefully remove the unit, and spray it clean with some quick drying electronic parts cleaner from CRC, or some other relatively mild aerosol solvent like carb cleaner or weak brake cleaner. Take care, the milder the solvent the better. The MAF is two tiny wires that are little heater coils; if either breaks then you need a replacement. Easy to clean, helps clear rough idle conditions and running conditions up.

Third chance is that you have a corroded connection to you Coolant Temperature Sensor. This tells the ECU how hot the engine is, and the ECU adjusts fuel delivery accordingly. If the plug is fouled, and the computer sees more resistance in the circuit than it should, then it enrichens the mixture. I have no photo to post to show you which plug it is, maybe someone else can oblige?

Pull your spark plugs. See what they look like, and match them up to this image here

spark_plugs.jpg

Use NGK spark plugs (BPR6ES-11) and decent wires, or better. cheapos can cause headaches. Check the distributor cap and rotor, check the air filter, change the fuel filter if you haven't already. Smell all around the car for gas with the engine running. Get on the ground in front of the passenger rear wheel and sniff around for gas. Somethings things get old and leaky.

Make sure you are running the right size tires, and not utterly throwing your MPG calculations off. 175-70 13 is the stock size for GL, sometimes 185 or 165.

The timing belt is NOT an awfully major job, and with patience and a bit of previous experience it should be doable in 24-48 hours; its the sort of thing where if you can find a place for a day or two, and have the needed tools, its NOT a major chore to accomplish with haste. God forbid, IF the job gets put off and the belts should break, its a non interference engine so no bent valves.

HTH, good luck. my 3AT FWD gets about 25mpg. :-\

daeron you are a pleathera of knowledge

With the combination you have, you should get around 25 if it was in tune.

That said, I would dump it and get a gen 1 Legacy. They are cheap, 130 HP, the fuel injection is more reliable. Mine gets 25 city, 29 freeway. And it's a lot more pleasureable to drive.

GD

I just hate the looks, honestly...

And I cant claim jack on that image, that came from the haynes book. The rest was mostly reading a couple factory service manuals, the L-jetronic fuel injection guidebook for my datsun, and paying attention to what people have going on here. I don't REALLY know what im doing unless I ahve had the problem myself, but I regurgitate alot of other people's experiences. I try to make this as clear as possible, since "internet parroting" is a dangerous thing.. but I *think* I do a nice job. Thanks.

I just hate the looks, honestly...

They aren't pretty, but that's not the point. I don't want to be noticed. It's a daily driver that's reliable, quick, AWD, and won't get me profiled. I'm not tempted to try to "mod" it, nor am I going to drive it with spirit. I don't mind racking on the miles, nor would I be heartbroken should it get wrecked....

"Cool" looking is the last thing I want in a DD. I can have more than one car, and the above characteristics are more important IMO if you can only own one. Thus the reason I sugested it over bothering with the problematic money pit that he has.

GD

They aren't pretty, but that's not the point. I don't want to be noticed. It's a daily driver that's reliable, quick, AWD, and won't get me profiled. I'm not tempted to try to "mod" it, nor am I going to drive it with spirit. I don't mind racking on the miles, nor would I be heartbroken should it get wrecked....

"Cool" looking is the last thing I want in a DD. I can have more than one car, and the above characteristics are more important IMO if you can only own one. Thus the reason I sugested it over bothering with the problematic money pit that he has.

GD

I couldn't agree with you more.. but I cant get over the looks of the early legacies. Imprezas were nice enough, but I seriously prefer the appearance of my GL10 to the leggy. Would I take a legacy if a 5 spd awd one were given to me for 500 tomorrow? Probably... but I am not going out of my way i dont think.

I couldn't agree with you more.. but I cant get over the looks of the early legacies. Imprezas were nice enough, but I seriously prefer the appearance of my GL10 to the leggy. Would I take a legacy if a 5 spd awd one were given to me for 500 tomorrow? Probably... but I am not going out of my way i dont think.

Mine was $750, low mileage, and needed a water pump. But then I did go looking for one.

Water pump and t-belt were by far the easiest on any Subaru I've yet touced. Exceedingly simple.

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip to Reno and back to Portland. Flawless, and comfortable.

While I was there I did the "Scotty's Cocktail" to my 5 speed. Shifts like new (possibly better - I can put it in 1st at over 25 MPH rolling). I'm sooo loving the simplicty.

Looks it may not have, but in almost every other way save for raw off-road capability, it trumps all older gen's, and as far as I'm concerned it's easily one of the best values in a used car you can get.

GD

well depending on what you want to do for a project or what you want to do for another car, here are your options:

a 5spd will swap in if you have all the parts, all bolts up no fabs. timing belts are not the end of the world to work on, its simple once you understand it.

you are in denver so im sure you can find any subaru ever made running rampant to no end, take your pick!

What GD has to say about going with the first gen new gen cars..I just moved up to a gen 1 Imp for a daily driver...I would prefer using and older EA82 personally..I like my Imp..dont get me wrong..its a great car.gets awesome gas mileage (92 L Sedan 5 spd AWD gets 30-32 mpg...EJ18 motor) but it has to be one of the most boring cars..common and boring...I like my cars to have some character and the new gens just dont seem to have it as much. I actually drove an 07 Lego and..it was nice and all..but my20 y/o XT6 could run circles around it on both performance and character..but if you havent seen my XT6..its kinda loaded with character:lol: .

The EA82s ..to me personally..are a great inexpensive car..great to learn to work on..very forgiving to owners ...stupidity?;) My old 92 wagon have me many happy years and miles of dependable dependable service and I want another one to share DD service with the Imp. There is plenty of knowledgable help out there for when you get in a bind with the mechanics..and they are just plain easy to keep running ( usually) I am very comfortable under the hood of one ( and since you are new I dont know if you noticed I am female and I do 98% of my work by myself) Now axles...LOL..wont touch them without someone in person to help.