Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brought home my replacement for the 96' OBW today...a new to me 00' OBW!

With the decision not to fix my old 96' OBW, we (wife and I) got down to talking and running some numbers...and bam my replacement is in my driveway. It's an 00' OBW with everything minus the sunroofs, auto, 127k..heated everything. Got a decent deal on it, but it has a few problems. One it needs brakes, possible CV, and the stereo doesn't work :lol:, well guess it works but doesn't produce sound. Will swap that with my nice stereo from my old OBW. Very clean interior, exterior good with nothing more than a ding or two. I will tell ya though we got caught in traffic for an hour on the way home and man everything felt backwards but very comfortable. Sneak pics since it's late out.

Proof the old school guy can jump all the way to the 00 models! :burnout:

(Tis dirty so ignore that):

00OBW.jpg

00OBW2.jpg

Now the old OBW with a bad headgasket and a few of my other cars need to go...part of the deal I made with the better half.

With the decision not to fix my old 96' OBW, we (wife and I) got down to talking and running some numbers...and bam my replacement is in my driveway. It's an 00' OBW with everything minus the sunroofs, auto, 127k..heated everything. Got a decent deal on it, but it has a few problems. One it needs brakes, possible CV, and the stereo doesn't work :lol:, well guess it works but doesn't produce sound. Will swap that with my nice stereo from my old OBW. Very clean interior, exterior good with nothing more than a ding or two. I will tell ya though we got caught in traffic for an hour on the way home and man everything felt backwards but very comfortable. Sneak pics since it's late out.

Proof the old school guy can jump all the way to the 00 models! :burnout:

(Tis dirty so ignore that):

00OBW.jpg

00OBW2.jpg

Now the old OBW with a bad headgasket and a few of my other cars need to go...part of the deal I made with the better half.

Congrats on your new car! Sounds like you are very happy with it. I hope it gives you years of good service. Sounds like you are on top of what needs to be repaired.

Funny how Subie owners keep coming back for more. My wife and I are on are third Subie. Still own and drive two out of the three. Great cars!

That is nice Keith! Nice color too. Glad you got a replacement car for ya to drive instead of you rx or lifted rig. If you need some parts found at the yard just let me know. Glad we found your unicorn mirror that was so hard to find.

Does that one have heated seats and other stuff like that?

That is nice Keith! Nice color too. Glad you got a replacement car for ya to drive instead of you rx or lifted rig. If you need some parts found at the yard just let me know. Glad we found your unicorn mirror that was so hard to find.

Does that one have heated seats and other stuff like that?

Yea well gotta give up the RX for this one most likely...but yes dual way heated seats, heated mirrors, hell even heated windshield wiper defroster things..and a VLSD in the rear. Nicest car I've ever owned really, minus the ones that have been my wife's. At the moment there is 6 Subaru's I own at my house, 3 must leave.

Anyone know off hand if my 15" wheels with brand new snow tires from my 96 will fit around the brakes on the 00' that came with 16's?

Anyone know off hand if my 15" wheels with brand new snow tires from my 96 will fit around the brakes on the 00' that came with 16's?

The 15" wheels should fit. In mid-2001 or so they increased the brake size to compensate for the weight of these new models.

I've heard a fair amount of people who get "warped" rotor, etc problems with the brakes on these. My suggestion is to use a decent quality rotor and pad.

Congrats on the find! I'm jealous, mine doesn't have the cold weather package!!

--Nick ('02 OBW)

Yea 15" Alloy's on the 96' so hoping they will fit, looks close. Even my subaru parts guy said maybe but the 00' has bigger brakes on the front than the 96' had him look it up since I just put new brakes/rotors on the 96' also and the 00' needs them...so far nothing is the same. I just gotta get off my rump roast and see if the wheels will fit but been a hellish few days here. This car commutes like a champ and I'm already in love with it! Oh and +1 for tinted windows too..:headbang:

Here's some actual daylight photo's for all you pic people..no I didn't wash it today either so still dirty..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

And yes there is way too many Subaru's in my driveway now!

And yes there is way too many Subaru's in my driveway now!
HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Yea 15" Alloy's on the 96' so hoping they will fit, looks close. Even my subaru parts guy said maybe but the 00' has bigger brakes on the front than the 96' had him look it up since I just put new brakes/rotors on the 96' also and the 00' needs them.
that's wrong, they will both have 276x24mm front rotors. a subaru parts guy may "show" different part numbers for some reason, but they are the same size rotors. the only caveat to all of this is if your 1996 is not an outback, if it's a Legacy nonoutback, nonGT...then it'll have a smaller rotor (and single piston caliper). the next size up from the 276 is 294 which didn't show up until 2002 and these almost always require 16" wheels.