Ultimate Subaru Message Board

strange junkyard experience, GL-10

I will try to keep this brief, and it may be off-topic but it is old-gen.

I drive an 87 GL-10, 2WD 3AT sedan model. Digidash, every option except the go-stuf like a real drivetrain or engine. Blue interior. Green digidash. I have needed a couple little GL-10 specific things, like a driver side sunvisor, and a trip computer display, for a while.

I came across what the junkyard badged as an "86 Subaru L line" which is their generic term for the EA82s (probly earlier as well.. dL, gL, etc) Lo and behold, it was an 86 GL-10, 2WD, 3AT, blue interior, sedan model. Digidash, loaded, SPFI and a crapbox trans.

However, the interior was in GREAT shape, most everything was cherry almost.. a few odd bits, like all the door handles were faded, but overall the interior looked GREAT. Under the hood was all full of cobwebs, literally.. craziest thing I ever saw.

The weird thing was, in a very real way this was supposed to be exactly like my car.. but the pattern in the blue cloth interior was wacky, the steering wheel was different, it obviously had the amber digidash even though I couldnt see it light up, all the buttons were different, the headlight switch was where the AC fan switch is... The variable intermittent wiper switch that I need wasn't there, nor the control unit...

I am VERY VERY tempted to grab the drivers seat, if not both seats. The yard only charges like, 25 bucks apiece for them, and they are SO CUSHY, mine are OK but worn... BUT, 50 bucks on not "needed" seats for the pizza junkaru is hard to justify right now, especially seeing as I was eyeing her steering pump more than anything else. (mine leaks bad)

Anyhow, In the end I snagged a set of hubcaps. I had a full set of the twenty spoke style subaru hubcaps that came on a million GLs and Loyales, but two have gotten lost.. Some guy offered me ten bucks to pull a brake master cylinder for him, so I used that money to buy these:

Resizeofhubcap001.jpg

Not in the greatest of shape, plus I've always thought these guys looked kinda weird, but whatever.

Resizeofhubcap004.jpg

The one on the right had the best color of all, but I think they've all already been spraypainted in the past. Whatever, its better than this:

Resizeofhubcap005.jpg

on both sides of the car.

I hit them with some el cheapo wal mart aluminum colored spray paint, because they didnt have any grey or grey-ish color in the fusion brand paint.. and I got some gloss black model paint to paint the SUBARU imprint. The rattlecan came out MIND BOGGLINGLY better than I expected, meaning it looks OK, and my hands were WAY to shaky to try to paint the SUBARU. I will get a shot of how they look as is tomorrow.

Anyone want some GL-10 bits? sunroof stuff? Didn't someone need some cruise control equipment? Its got the original stereo, with tape deck included! Looks like it works GREAT! heh.. Mudflaps, front and rear (you can see MINE only had the rear.. :()

Just let me know and I'm willing to strip them off the car.

looks like an 86 gl-10 this was the fuel injection offer while the other gl's were carb'd. the seats are fluffier and so are the door panels and even the sun visors.i have the older door panels in my 88 sedan.the cack seats should fold down thru the trunk i would grab them too.

The weird thing was, in a very real way this was supposed to be exactly like my car.. but the pattern in the blue cloth interior was wacky, the steering wheel was different, it obviously had the amber digidash even though I couldnt see it light up, all the buttons were different, the headlight switch was where the AC fan switch is... The variable intermittent wiper switch that I need wasn't there, nor the control unit...

One time I was at Gary's (All_talk) and he told me that 85 and 86 l-series were slightly different from the rest, (i.e. fan switch, headlight switch, the hvac buttons had a slightly different design) so that's probably why it looked different from yours.

Yep that's what it is...Your right.. And yeah those new hub caps will look good! Connie (Bucky92) had that same ones but she painted the vented parts black...

Anyhoo if you can, Get the moldings for the front fenders! I need those badly. And if you don't want the front mud flaps i'll take those too!

PM me about all that stuff....

Later,

Tom

I knew, abstractly, all the differences beforehand.. but it was surreal, sitting in something that in so many ways was exactly like a cherry version of my car, but with countless tiny details just slightly off....

it was WEIRD. I found myself sitting in the driver's seat for no apparent reason, adjusting it, etc.

I KNEW it had been done, thanks. Honestly, I hadn't recognized your hubcaps as those hubcaps... I was going to look for pics of how those were painted originally, and what ppl had done with them. I am gonna paint some of that black, but not all I think. We shall see.

Yep that's what it is...Your right.. And yeah those new hub caps will look good! Connie (Bucky92) had that same ones but she painted the vented parts black...

Anyhoo if you can, Get the moldings for the front fenders! I need those badly. And if you don't want the front mud flaps i'll take those too!

PM me about all that stuff....

Later,

Tom

What moldings are you referring to? The black (Sometimes chromish i guess, too) strip that goes along the lip of the wheelwell opening?

If so, I might have a set here. I don;t think I threw them away when I removed them from my wagon

Yeah those big black ones that are on the fenders by the wheelwells.. And if you still have them did you break the clips that hold them on when you took then off? Theres two moldings per front fender.. One small on by the door and a longer one by the bumper... Hope ya still have them:banana:

I am painting the hubcaps. I gave them a good coat of wal mart rattlecan silver the other day, touched that up today and started the lettering. I want to paint part of the "wings" black, but I need to spray them, then mask them and re spray the silver in that area, because masking it any other way is a biatch.

Pics:

All four:

Resizeofhubcap002.jpg

The best one still silver:

Resizeofhubcap04.jpg

I painted the sections of the wings on one corner of this one, the shadow kinda screwed it up but the look I want is there. Fixing this botch job is gonna be hard. I tried using the same Testor's black model paint I used for the lettering, and it came out.. so so. It was an attempt to avoid having to mask and spray the black, and once I started I went ahead with the whole corner.

Resizeofhubcap006.jpg

And these two are the road rash ones, they came out the worst because I did no sanding or smoothing beforehand. BFD, if you ask me.

Resizeofhubcap007.jpg

Yep - 87 saw a makeover of the EA82 line. 86 was the introduction of the SPFI. As such the high end 2WD GL's (GL-10 included) got it (85's were MPFI non-turbo). 4WD's didn't get SPFI till late 87.

The steering wheel changed, and the controls were changed to incorporate the "universal" driving standard using the stalk controls. There was a movement in the later 80's by a community of auto manufacturers to try to make all cars similar with respect to the location of various driving functions.

Everything you saw on that 86 was normal for 85/86's - but it's comparitively rare to see the 86 SPFI as it only came on some 2WD GL's. Beware the strange connectors on a lot of the SPFI components. They should be electrically similar though.

GD

Hey man, Wow those look great silver/gray!! It go's with the era of the car.. And heres a thought, Insted of doing the wings black, Maybe do those in a little darker gray/silver.. Because if you look at the pics you can get an idea of what it would look like.. I think that would look better.. but there your caps..

best of luck with the painting..

some on-car shots

hubcap02.jpg

Resizeofhubcap003.jpg

hubcap01.jpg

As I said, the black wings I brushed are icky icky. The look is great though.

EDIT BTW, am I sagging a bit in the back there?? Especially on the driver's side? The ride is tolerable, as long as I don't got 40 over bumps, so I haven't paid much attention, but it sure LOOKS awful.

Yeah that's the only thing i can think of too. How does it bounce?? Are the rear struts still good?? Or are they week?

That is a sad ending for the EA82's... I always check the wheel wells and keep them painted with gloss black paint.. Hope it's nothing surios dude...

Good luck

my gl sags in the back something fierce. but that may have something to with the fact i am carrying 150 lbs of stereo equipment. also the wheels i have rub i had to do the rolling of the rear wheel wells. still rubs if hit a bump just right. and also the shock are showing oil on the shaft.

i have an 86 awd wagon parts car. has anyone used those type of rear springs on a sedan and if so are there ill affects on ride. :-\

my gl sags in the back something fierce. but that may have something to with the fact i am carrying 150 lbs of stereo equipment. also the wheels i have rub i had to do the rolling of the rear wheel wells. still rubs if hit a bump just right. and also the shock are showing oil on the shaft.

i have an 86 awd wagon parts car. has anyone used those type of rear springs on a sedan and if so are there ill affects on ride. :-\

The rear wagon struts are around 1-1/2" taller than the sedan strut. I put them on my RX for the winter. In my photos is a pic of the car with the wagon struts on it. They are adjusted to the highest position. Great ground clearance for stock suspension and the ride was the same. Corners wern't quite as tight but no problems with the ride.