Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I wrote and asked him, no response yet. How would you tell by looking at the differential which one it is?
Unless the label is still there, no way to tell without opening it up and counting teeth on the ring gear and pinion and then dividing to get the ratio.

Well, we got the differential out, and it really does look good. There is no damage to the bearing or case. I don't know why this happened, maybe the ring clip got worn down and let it slip. At this point the plan is to get two rebuilt axles and new clips and put her back together.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site and all of your input. I'll let you know what happens when we get it together sometime next week.

Something interesting has surfaced that may shed some light on why this happened. I asked MWE to send me some new clips (the ones that hold the axle in the differential) in case the old ones had worn out or something. It turns out that the old ones were of a much larger gauge material than the new ones. When I first heard that I was thinking that if the new ones were smaller, they might not hold as well. I have not had a chance to line all this up yet, but if the old ones were not the right clips (this was a junkyard differential that was installed 40,000 miles ago) and if those clips were too large to really seat into the grooves in the axles, maybe that is why it pulled out.

It maybe that some of this goes back to having replaced my original differential with a junkyard one several years ago. It’s a long story, but at that time a mechanic convinced me that the differential was going out. Actually, I have long since decided that it wasn't true, I think the guy just saw a way to create some business in the winter. Regardless, I wonder where these clips came from. I sent some pictures to MWE to see if Marshall has any opinion on it. I will post one here. Anyone ever see different size clips come out of a diff, or on axles?

- more confused

post-22104-136027625747_thumb.jpg

i doubt the the larger size of the clip is the problem, but it is interesting that they, or someone , changed the size.

my guess is that the clip was a little worn and the the situation , whatever it was, stressed it to the point that it popped out. i'd put it back together and drive it until it happened again. if you have new clips and axles great, if not so what. it may never do it again.

I have new clips and axles. I'd have a hard time trusting the car on long trips without trying to fix it. We spend a lot of time on mountain passes and back and forth to New Mexico. Bad places to break down. Even with the new equipment, I don't know if we've identified the problem or not. Time will tell.