Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just finished sealing an replacing the front of my 2.2 I put the belt on last night I and I am not 100% sure I got it right. The issue Looking at the engine from standing in front of it, the left cam sprocket has a little notch that should line up with the notch on the timing belt cover. When I think it looks as good as its going to get there are 45 teeth between that and the crank. When I move it a tooth over the sprocket is a little right of the mark on the timing belt cover. What is right? I made sure I was 44 teeth from the crank. I am using the notch not the arrows.

Hi. Yes I just did a 2.2L timing belt and noticed a similar thing on the LH cam pulley. It looked to be a little too far cw to the indent on the timing belt cover. However, the marks on the timing belt were perfectly aligned with the dashes on the sprockets. When I pulled the tensioner, the LH cam moved slightly ccw and then it was right on.

So basically I think you start with the cams aligned to the points on the timing cover, then hang the new belt and make sure the teeth counts/marks on the belt are correct with the hashes on the cam sprockets and you're good. And the crank sprocket too of course. The tooth counts are the important thing.

edit: also are you using an OEM belt? Those marks seem to be dead on; not sure about aftermarket belt marks.