Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stereo and cupholder install, 87 GL10, w/ trip computer retained, PICS

Okay, I installed this guy this spring, but forgot my camera. I recently pulled it to tap the front speakers into the new stereo; I just ignored stock wiring completely when I installed it, and ran new wire for the rear channel. When I did that, the CD player stopped ejecting CDs, so I took it out again today to fix it. (success, for the record)

You've seen these two shots:

Resizeofsteerio012.jpg

Resizeofsteerio15.jpg

The cupholder, and the metal brackets I frankensteined and used, came from a mid 90's corolla? but they looked almost like they have have been aftermaket there, too.. hard to tell.

Now, for the nitty gritty shots that I took today:

This is the faceplate (not including the spacer I needed to use) complete with screw on support bracket

astereo3.jpg

The install kit was the faceplate, the spacer plate, the support bracket, and some screws.

I used some modified sheetmetal brackets to attach the stereo and cupholder to each other, so they function as one unit. The sheetmetal has one corner with an ear that one of the four mounting screws runs through. That screw, and the support bracket, are all that holds it in; but its solid enough.

side view of the assembled stereo/cupholder, with spacer plate dangling:

astereo2.jpg

here you can see the one screw "ear" on the top left corner of the deck:

astereo1.jpg

You can see the trip computer in this shot; it has two ears on the right side of it, and both of those have mounting screws running through them.

This is the hole in the dash, showing the LACK of the metal bracket that needs to be cut out.

astereo4.jpg

So to summarize: four mounting screws go into the stock locations to hold the entire affair in place. Two of those go through first faceplate, then trip computer, then spacer plate, into the dash; one goes through faceplate, sheetmetal bracket for stereo assembly, spacer, then into dash, and one just goes through the faceplate and spacer into the dash. The radio and cupholder are bolted together as an assembly, and are held in place by the one ear, the sandwiching effect of everything going together, and are supported by that plastic bracket.

After all this, I never use the damn cupholder. I still leave my drink on the center console, between driver seat and handbrake lever. Using the cupholder obscures access to the stereo, and risks an accidental stereo douching which I would rather avoid.. BUT it is there if its needed for something. Covered drinks only, please! :grin:

I doubt this will be of TOO much help to anyone, but I promised photos long long ago anyhow. Anyone think this is worth submitting to this USRM, go right ahead..

EDIT and Oh yah, I REALLY need to clean out my car.. but I don't care :-p

The holder on Legacy's is in front of the stereo - that's just how they are designed. Never had a problem with stereo "douching" in mine, but I do wish it didn't obscure the deck so much. I'm just glad I have *something* after years of EA series Subaru's, and dozens of "I just peed myself" looking wet spots.

GD

HAHA luckely i have not gotten the just peed myself look..yet. Whenever i have a drink i end up sandwiching it between the E brake and the passenger seat. Then again my car is 5 speed front wheel drive. I cant remember if that would work for a 4wd car.

HAHA luckely i have not gotten the just peed myself look..yet. Whenever i have a drink i end up sandwiching it between the E brake and the passenger seat. Then again my car is 5 speed front wheel drive. I cant remember if that would work for a 4wd car.

Yeah - that works. Even on EA82's. On the 86+ EA82 D/R 4WD's you can slip the cup between the center console and the 4WD lever. But only if it's a medium size or smaller. Large drink cups don't fit.

GD