Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slight overhaul on EA82

'89 SPFI EA82 GL 5spd 2wd sedan. It's been running a little funny lately... I started it up after it sat for a week and it ran beautifully, then it sputtered and died. For the next three starts (in which I let it run about 5-10 seconds) it acted like it was running on 3 cylinders. I checked the ECU, no codes. Then I start it up a 4th time and once again it runs beautifully.

I think it's time to switch out some senders/sensors. I plan on replacing the O2 sensor, TPS, MAF, and a few other senders/sensors that I haven't identified yet. I've been browsing www.thepartsbin.com and I see a water temp SENSOR and a water temp SENDER. I've replaced the temp sending gauge switch (I believe that's what controls the electric fan?) but I still have some hesitation, although not as bad.

Can anybody take a look at the website for me and tell me if the water temp SENDER and water temp SENSOR are even in the SPFI setup? I can't find either of my Haynes or Chiltons books to check. Thanks for any responses.

I don't THINK that any of the parts listed on thepartsbin for your model and year are the coolant temperature sensor. (CTS) That is the typical generic term for the sensor that tells the computer how hot the coolant is, thus informing the computer whether its cold running conditions, hot, etc.

There are a total of three temperature "switches/sensors/senders" Technically one of each. The switch, is in the radiator, and it turns the electric fan on and off. The sensor is the CTS I mentions already, and its on the passenger side of the intake manifold. It is a plug similar to those pictured in thepartsbin, but instead of having a male spade terminal on it, it has a wire attached to it that terminates in a round plug much like many other under the hood of the subaru. The Sender is for the temp gauge, and that is what is pictured under all three of those parts listed on thepartsbin, IF I am not mistaken.

Go to http://www.rockauto.com and look it up; they have senders and sensor listed. One of the items listed under "Sensor" is a sender, I believe, but most have the pigtail I mentioned.

That being said, it probably is not your problem. Common experiences here seem to indicate a faulty connection to a sensor, more often than a bad sensor; and either case is indicated primarily by either poor cold start and idle, or rich conditions when running warm, and poor fuel economy.

My guess at what caused the little hiccup would be a possible janky spark plug and or wire.. possibly a coil wire, or a slight buildup of oxidation under the distributor cap. However, I am largely assuming that this problem was temporary and hasn't barked at you again since; if I am wrong say so.

Hope this helps.

No, the problem hasn't returned. But I haven't really driven it, I won't know until I take it on a 20 mile trip this thursday. Pretty sure it's not a big issue though. The hesitation I'm getting is probably the oxygen sensor, but that's getting changed soon. Thanks for the input.