Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Struts done. Just a few more tasks.

We finished putting the KYB GR2 struts on the 98 GT this afternoon. My daughters just loved the air tools which really helped. There were no real issues.

The best trick was to slot out where the brake lines attach to the struts so that we did not have to separate the brake lines. A Subaru mechanic confirmed that this is also how they do it! Thanks for all the advice from this board!

Now on to the front brakes and master and slave cylinders for the clutch. Those parts did not arrive in time.

Next weekend for sure!

We finished putting the KYB GR2 struts on the 98 GT this afternoon. My daughters just loved the air tools which really helped. There were no real issues.

The best trick was to slot out where the brake lines attach to the struts so that we did not have to separate the brake lines. A Subaru mechanic confirmed that this is also how they do it! Thanks for all the advice from this board!

Now on to the front brakes and master and slave cylinders for the clutch. Those parts did not arrive in time.

Next weekend for sure!

I just finished the struts too, and disconnected the brakelines at the calipers. It let me be sure they WOULD separate, if I ever neet to replace a caliper, and to flush the brake fluid and bleed the brakes. They have a firmer feel now.

I got it aligned and it is great. 1000 miles this past week. Never would have managed that on the old struts.

The brake flex hose connections can be tricky. I heat 'em up, soak 'em with penetrating oil, then apply 10mm flare nut wrench and use a set of vise grips to secure the flare nut wrench securely. crapsman and similar flare nut wrenches will open up under severe stress which rounds off the fastener.

If you need to replace a caliper, you don't have to mess with these; you just pull the 10mm banjo bolt from the caliper and use new sealing washers.