Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JB Weld?

cd45

I replaced all of the gaskets in and under the carb, had a slight vacuum leak. Now, I have a bad smoking problem. I have replaced the gasket under the adapter for the Weber carb 3 times, and it always let coolant leak after about 10 minutes of running. I was told to fill the hole with JB Weld. Would that hurt anything? I know the Weber does not use the heat of the coolant like the Hitachi carb did, just wondering if there is any flow through that area if the manifold. Please help, after this is fixed, it is road ready.

I have replaced the gasket under the adapter for the Weber carb 3 times, and it always let coolant leak after about 10 minutes of running.

Hi cd45,

My guess is that the flange and/or the adaptor isn't clean/flat. Sounds like you may need to pull the studs from the manifold so you can file, and or block sand the flange. Just a guess, without more information.

Doug

When doing the weber swap u need to fill that hole otherwise coolant will soak that gasket. The weber does not require coolant to that area. All JB welding will do is keep your gaskets dry. It will not block flow. I have had mine JB welded for months now with no problems. Just a word of advice when doing it..do it in stages. dont try to fill that hole all at once or the JB weld may not cure correctly. It took me two or three times to finally fill the hole and then i let it sit for 24 hours before i sanded it flush with the top of the manifold.

It is flat. I used a ruler edge and could not get a .001 feeler gauge under the ruler.

Well, if you're sure it's flat...What hatchsub said, or...get an OEM gasket... or block that coolant line at the source so it never reaches the gasket. Just thinking out loud. Hope you're back in the saddle soon.

Doug

Yes - JB weld is the way to do it. Use a bit of regular home window screen to keep the JB from running too much - otherwise you'll have to do it like 3 times as hatchsub mentioned.

And no, coolant flow through there is not neccesary. But you can't just cap the lines because coolant FLOWS through that area - it enters through a small hose, but leaves through the manifold itself. Down in that opening there's another bit of hard-line that leads into the manifolds coolant cross-over.

GD