Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trans flush and shudder guard

2001 OBW, 85,000 mi., Am considering a trans flush by the Sube

dealer, and the addition of Shudder Guard. This is a full power flush, priced @ $189.95, includes filter and fluid. Seems a bit steep?

What are your thoughts on the process and the price?

2001 OBW, 85,000 mi., Am considering a trans flush by the Sube

dealer, and the addition of Shudder Guard. This is a full power flush, priced @ $189.95, includes filter and fluid. Seems a bit steep?

What are your thoughts on the process and the price?

All you need is a standard A/T service every 30,000 mi. $79.00 at our Subaru dealership (usually $99.00, but it's on coupon sale so often we've never paid the 'list price').

As far as I'm concerned anything else is a 'wallet flush'.

This is the third dealer ive seen charging an insane amount of money for a flush.

99.00 tops for a flush, 79.00 is a good price.

What is a "shudder guard", the price alone should make you shudder.

Just a plain ol flush like said before.

nipper

Wynn's makes a 'shudder guard' product: http://www.wynnsusa.com/pdf/557xx.pdf

I have no idea why a Subaru dealer would be installing/using this stuff as part of a flush.

I can only imaging that it dilutes the ATF and smoothes the vibration at idle, which is caused by various other problems that shoud be corrected instead, like plugs, wires, belts, vacuum leaks, etc.

to quote the service advisor:

"The shutter guard is a friction modifier that soaks into the clutch packs (fiber), to prevent center differential bind."

Admittedly the price is high, although it includes: 16.5 qts fluid, qt.flush detergent,

qt. shudder guard . Definitely seems to be a controversial subject.

I can't see how the flush and new fluid could harm anything, we change our motor oil don't we?

Ok, friction modifier. Well yes apparantley at some point in the past in an issue of T.I.P.S. newsletter Subaru did say you could add some limited slip friction modifier (normally used in limited slip differentials with clutch type mechanisms) to deal with torque bind. However that was like early to mid 90's maybe.

I'm all for putting in fresh quality ATF with a flush. I would put in that shudder guard only maybe if you are experiencing torque binding problems; otherwise you could always add it later if desired.

to quote the service advisor:

"The shutter guard is a friction modifier that soaks into the clutch packs (fiber), to prevent center differential bind."

Admittedly the price is high, although it includes: 16.5 qts fluid, qt.flush detergent,

qt. shudder guard . Definitely seems to be a controversial subject.

I can't see how the flush and new fluid could harm anything, we change our motor oil don't we?

I'd never suggest a chemical flush ("qt.flush detergent"). If it's the Wynn's product we're discussing, it's apparently more than a friction modifier, and also not appropriate if the trans doesn't have problems.

A slightly older MSDS, giving a bit more detail of the ingredients:

http://www.wynns.net/assets/MSD%20Sheets/MSDS%2055701.pdf

An short explanation of what the product is designed to deal with:

http://www.wynnswa.com.au/menu6_02_09.html

Do change the fluid and external filter if it hasn't been done recently, but leave the other chemicals out if this is just for maintenance.

Glad it's running smoothly. Yes ATF gets dirty, oxidizes, shears, etc. so at 86k it's definitely not a bad idea to get fresh in there. It holds maybe 10-12 quarts; the 16 quarts must've been the total they passed through the system, you know a few extra to help push out all the old.

I'm hoping this will help some people who are considering any kind of tranny service,whether it be at the dealer,a tranny shop(never go there) or in your own garage.there is no problem flushing an auto tranny whether it be with a machine or just draining the fluid yourself.The problems begin when you start using detergents.These detergents clean your tranny very well but you don't want that unless you're ready to start leaving your credit card open to whoever is doing the work.You will be replacing your tranny alot sooner than if you'd just changed the fluid.All that grime that builds up on on the innards inside the tranny needs to stay there,it compensates for natural wear,you clean it out and all of the sudden you've got a losse tranny.All of the additives in the world won't help your cause,just flash your card again and get a new/used tranny.

Hope this helps-in the interest of keeping this short I haven't gotten technical.