Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have alway owned Loyales. I just obtained a 1994 legacy. I changed the oil and noticed alot of oil on the bottom of the engine.

I am not sure but I think the engine is a 2.2. Are there any quirks to these engines about oil leaks. The first thing I will do is replace vavle cover gaskets, any other suggestions. Also what years of Leagacy's are the parts interchangeable, again I have not owned a Legacy before, thanks in advance

Hi skybren. Yes I have a '94 Legacy too! These 2.2L's, with mileage/age, have a number of possible engine oil leak points

front cam seals

front crank seal - can also be oil pump rotor cover screws backing out and directing some oil out the front crank seal

LH cam front support o-ring

If you see the bottom of the timing belt covers a bit 'wet' with oil, there is most likely a leak in the above mentioned areas

rear main seal

valve covers

RH cam rear support o-ring

I have some pics of these various items if needed. :)

I have alway owned Loyales. I just obtained a 1994 legacy. I changed the oil and noticed alot of oil on the bottom of the engine.

I am not sure but I think the engine is a 2.2. Are there any quirks to these engines about oil leaks. The first thing I will do is replace vavle cover gaskets, any other suggestions. Also what years of Leagacy's are the parts interchangeable, again I have not owned a Legacy before, thanks in advance

Probalby oil pump screws or crank seal. When was the last timing belt done?