Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was the Headgasket problem taken care of for the 2004 Outback

That is what Subaru said.

I have personally sent at least 2 '03's to the dealer for warranty head gasket work.

My wifes '03 Legacy SE sedan had just had head gasket work done before we bought it with ~35k on the clock.

The former Subaru tech from the dealer said he has done '04 head gaskets.

Can't always believe what the Manufacturer tells you.

That is what Subaru said.

I have personally sent at least 2 '03's to the dealer for warranty head gasket work.

My wifes '03 Legacy SE sedan had just had head gasket work done before we bought it with ~35k on the clock.

The former Subaru tech from the dealer said he has done '04 head gaskets.

Can't always believe what the Manufacturer tells you.

The unique configuration of subaru engines, with a 2 cylinder aluminum head on a thinwall aluminum block, IMO, means there will inherently be a greater chance of HG failure on a hard used engine. There is simply less material to absorb vibration and heat, and the rates of expansion are difficult to control in such intricate castings and assemblies.

I watch the temp gauge on my Subies as closely as possible.

Sadly any new car in the last 10 years are susepctible to HG failure. SUbaru for the last 3 years have been no worse then anyone else.

Only way to avoid it is to get a v-8 or a inline 5 or 6 cylinder.

Personally i think they have gotten it so that they arent that bad anymore. When you make 200,000 units a year, its going to happen.

nipper

The whole problem with the 2.5 head gaskets has nothing to do with mileage or abuse.It is simply a matter of heating and cooling cycles.City driven 2.5's will need them alot sooner than commuter cars that put on more miles at a time.So if you get a 2.5 just let it idle as often as you can rather than turning it off every time you stop.