Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT Turbo...Used purchase..what to look for?

Greetings fellow Subarians ;)

I've owned a 1992 Legacy, a 2006 Forester, and still own a 2000 Impreza.

I'm considering expanding my horizon by purchasing a 1988 XT Turbo. :banana:

I'm in Europe and I don't know if you guys also had the 1.8 turbos?

Anyway, is there anything specific I should be looking for in terms of pending expensive repairs??

I do my own servicing and minor repairs, so I'm savvy with the usual used-car stuff, but I have no idead what weakness the XT had.

I dont know how your rust issues are....but thats a big factor with them ( yes we have the 1.8 turbos here) the front unibody likes to rot away. They are also very very prone to headgasket failure..all EA82Ts are..If it has the air suspension..thats another failure point and can be extremely expensive to fix unless you just do what most of us do..and swap it over to coil over.It can also be hard to find parts for...but all in all they are a fun car...I have an XT6 model and once all the bugs were worked out its a fun car. so basically..head gaskets,air suspension,unibody rot, and brittle wireing are some issues..I am sure others will chime in on more things:)

Also go to http://subaruxt.com/forum for all your XT needs

best bet is to swap the suspension to coil over and get rid of the air suspension.

overheating, head gaskets, and turbo failure are typical problems with a 20+ year old EA82T. they also crack heads far easier than non-turbo EA82's. your best bet is to plan on putting some maintenance into it right away - new hoses, new turbo hoses and gaskets (coolant/oil), radiator check, new water pump, thermostat (subaru only), etc.

if the switch is in the center console it's to lock the center differential. in this case it's FTWD.

if the button is on the shifter then it's PTWD and is, as you said, 2WD until you push the button, then it's in 4WD with the center diff locked.

in the states the 87.5 model i mentioned earlier would be FT4WD, then earlier models would be PT4WD.

I love this website ;)

Had a test drive today:

Yep, it's the real AWD deal, switch on the centerconsole and rectangular holes in the headrests.

The car has 130k miles on it. The driving experience was quite a pleasant surpise. It all feels tight and well cared for. No slack in the steering, nothing but smooth power from idle to rev limiter. All the electric bits work. It's still on air suspension, but I'll keep in mind that coils are the future if I get a failure.

Rust: Passenger side rear wheel well, or the actually the lower part of the trunk edge was under attack, but no holes and it's only a cosmetic worry. The bottom of the car is solid - I pounded it with a blunt screwdriver.

HOWEVER, rear of the engine room, just below the chassis number, there is rust in the seam weld. I also tapped that with the screwdriver, and it made metal noises and didn't seem to have run away.

Does anyone here know if rust there is a sign of something serious? Like, did it come from inside and will it expose a huge rust attack when I sand it down?

The car has had numerous anti-rust treatments, and the rest of it looks and feels good in terms of rust.

We are planning to buy this car as a daily-second-driver. My gf needs it to ferry her to and from work, a 30 mile roundtrip. At the price (Denmark remember!) if it can go for a year it'll be a good deal. If it lasts two years it's a really sweet deal.

Oh, the radiator is looking old and I'll be sure to replace it, and the thermostat, hoses, and pressure cap upon purchase.

I had forgotten.. Are you danish, or did you emigrate there? Your English is Excellent!!! good luck on the XT

Almost all well educated europeans speak english, english classes here in the netherlands start at the age of 12 and continue for 6 years, so yeah, our english is atleast understandable ;)

anyway, the XT looks good! like any other almost 20 year old car it will need regular maintenance and it will break down, but it's a very easy car to work on (except for maybe 2 hoses that are hard to get to) so if you're somewhat good with wrenches, you're good to go :)

have you already checked http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/ ? there is a FSM (Factory Service Manual) available to download and that's very handy.

Almost all well educated europeans speak english, english classes here in the netherlands start at the age of 12 and continue for 6 years, so yeah, our english is atleast understandable ;)

And so, for the second time in five minutes, I must post this.

Daeron ==

2000_jackass.jpg

Anyhow, good luck with the XT, whether its this one or another. I'll go back to my corner now :-p

Thats a nice XT!!! I wish you the best of luck...many of the member from the XT board frequent here..but the knowledge on them is amazing over there.There is a new user approval thing over there but if you let someone like joost or me or turbone or grossgary know..we can let them know and get you approved

I have to say..I have also found that our friends from native non-english speaking countries speak and spell english much better then we do.

I have to say..I have also found that our friends from native non-english speaking countries speak and spell english much better then we do.

speek fer yerself, laydee. I aint never met no better speeker of eenglish than me.

:Flame: