Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Pictures of EA81 Hitachi Carb!

I'm in the process of switching over from a Carter Weber Carb to a Hitachi from my former 84 GL-10 FWD parts car. I have the Hitachi and I'm trying to reconnect all the hoses and wires.:confused: Would love some pics of a Hitachi that is connected to use to figure out how to connect it all back. Pictures are truly worth a thousand words. There's no such thing as too many pics or too many angles.

Might be a little easier this way. if anyone has pictures of what I'm supposed to do with the spots I marked in these pictures.

carb01.jpg

carb02.jpg

carb03.jpg

The large arrow in the thrid picture seems to be my biggest hitch right now. The accelerator cable is about a foot to the right of where it seems it should be for the hitachi. Anyone have any pics to show what I should do with these things? The vacume diagram from under the hood of a hitachi model might help too. Thanks!

Hitachi and Carter/Weber use different throttle cables.

As for the rest of the stuff - you don't need most of it. In the first picture the two ports on the front of the carb where you have them connected - those are the EGR and Distributor advance ports. The EGR will be the higher of the two.

You don't need the hard lines - just run new vacuum line instead. The hard lines are confusing and branch in weird ways to accomidate thermo-vacuum valves and such..... trust me just use new vacuum lines and simplify the hookup.

Do some searches as I've covered hooking these things up before, but it's been so long since I messed with one that it would be better if you searched for my old posts on it. I got sick of the antics of the Hitachi's and tossed my entire collection in a dumpster one day. I only run Weber's and SPFI now, and I'm in the process of getting rid of the Weber's too.

GD

Alrighty then, I've been messing around a lot with my Hitachi carbs at the moment so I've picked up a bit along the way...

For your first picture, this is how it should hook up:

Carb%20Hookup%201.jpg

As GD said, both the Vacuum Distributor advance and Vacuum EGR valve are typically used for emissions control.

The Thermo valve either supplies fresh air to these two, or as the engine temp changes, vacuum from the two ports on the carb.

As far as I can guess, below 68 degress C, the Dissy and EGR are driven by their vacuum ports, then above that temperature till 104 degress C, the thermo valve opens and lets in the fresh air which stops the Dissy advance and EGR valve from operating. Above 104 degress, the thermo valve closes off the fresh air again so the two devices are once again controlled by vacuum.

My best guess is that when the engine is cold, the Dissy Advance helps get the car going and then when it reaches running temp (above 104), the emssions systems are advancing the timing and opening the EGR valve to reduce harmful gas formation.

For your second picture, you already have the distributor hooked up but these are the other two:

Carb%20Hookup%203.jpg

You can follow the fixed lines on the driver's side to the Thermo Vacuum valve. You can also see the canister hookup (middle connection on top) to your remaining line on your first photo:

Carb%20Hookup%202.jpg

And then finally on to the rear shot with the Hitachi Accelerator hookup:

Carb%20Hookup%204.jpg

Hope this helps.

Steve